The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A Engine management required for 300hp

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Browning

Probationary Member
Jan 5, 2017
Greenville, South_Carolina
I currently have a 96 RS that I am in the process of fixing up to get it running. I have a few mods planned after that, and I am wondering what I will need in combination with these mods in terms of Engine management to get me to my goal of 300hp. This will mostly be for autocross so that's why I'm going for a 16g as opposed to an 18g or 20g. Also I know that I will need to get a Walboro 255 (and maybe bigger injectors?) but what else would I need to get fuel wise. I know that there are a few threads on this but all that I really want is the bare minimum required for 300hp and I am unsure on how extensive that will be.

Mod Plans:
Forged Wiesco pistons
Eagle Rods
Also some of the less expensive engine parts I will replace because I might as well if I'm taking the engine out
16g Turbo (obviously with all the non-engine management things required for this such as fmic, exhaust manifold, oil lines, etc)

(I think this is ok but this is my first time starting a thread so please let me know if/how I can improve)

The most reliable way is to go with megasquirt (plenty of documented info out there) or an AEM FIC. Dollar for dollar the megasquirt is the better of the two.

The cheap way to go is to use an fmu which raises fuel pressure based on boost which basically tricks the ecu into injecting more fuel (due to the higher fuel pressure). This is also a very documented method. It less desirable.

The most reliable way is to go with megasquirt (plenty of documented info out there) or an AEM FIC. Dollar for dollar the megasquirt is the better of the two.

The cheap way to go is to use an fmu which raises fuel pressure based on boost which basically tricks the ecu into injecting more fuel (due to the higher fuel pressure). This is also a very documented method. It less desirable.

Oh wow, I've read your thread more times than I can count man. Your build is really inspiring especially after all that trouble you had at the beginning! Why would the fmu be less desirable? Is ECMLink an example of an fmu or is that something different? I've read a lot on ECMlink and all but I'm still unsure whether It serves the same purpose of the megasquirt or something else.

Thank you. I'm glad you have found my build thread inspirational.

Best of luck with the build and keep your build thread updated. Not many 420Aers left on this site.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back