The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Engine just took a dump...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greddy_1700

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 27, 2006
Regina, SK_Canada
Hey, so I just spent all this time and effort on my tranny this past few weeks only to start it today. It ran good while I moved it out of the garage then parked it. I went to start it tonight and this thing sounds Awfull... Basically the thing always had some valve lashing/lifer ticking noise, but now its like that times 20. Then i thought it was nothing, just because it hasn't run in a while, well I press the gas to move it a bit and my RPM drop and I went no where. At this point my car smells strongly of gas so I pop the hood, go to the throttle body to manually rev the engine hoping its just like a throttle cable mishap. Well I do that a few times and the rpm start to come up. Now the new problem is there is no power at all... The engine will not rev past like 4500 without stumbling on its face. There was alot of black smoke too which i know is to much fuel. Now my question is, what the hell just happened! I am honestly thinking the worse and thinking I just spun a bearing. Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance,

Garret

Go back over the engine room with a fine tooth comb. It sounds like you left somthing loose or disconnected. Bad bearings don't blow black smoke.

But how would one connector left unhooked cause my engine to drop rpm, stutter, backfire, and not rev past about 4500rpm while idleing insainly loudly and blowing black smoke? I just have a feeling its alot more serious than that...

Somthing as simple as a loose hose or your maf sensor not plugged in correct will send your afr out the window.

If it was running OK when you started and now it's running like pupu somthing is not reconnected.

Well, the time you've taken to argue the point, you could have gone over the connectors and proven TGM wrong.

Pull your CEL codes, check all the connectors, do a boost leak test, check your cam alignment, wiggle your turbo and check for shaft play. Ok, you've spent at most 30 min under the hood, still don't know? Get back to the board.

How could one connector have that big of an effect? The ECU is deaf dumb and blind without it's sensors. If you leave your MAF disconnected, you get a 2500rpm rev limit and it's a big fat turd all the way up to 2500. Others will cause the symptoms you're describing.

Rarely do catastrophic engine or turbo failures pick a specific RPM to start and go away at, and even less rarely do they coincidently occur after doing a transmission install. Black smoke indicates fuel, which (generally), if it still runs half way decently and picks an RPM to die at, all the physical pieces are still functioning.

If you keep on running with so much fuel, something really bad will happen. Worse than Santa skipping your house.

Hmmm, ok well thanks for the input guys. I guess I am a bit nieve and saw no way it was a connector. When I am off work today I will go over everything and maybe "Buy" and OBD1 code reader and try and figure out whats going on.

Thanks again.

When I am off work today I will go over everything and maybe "Buy" and OBD1 code reader and try and figure out whats going on.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

You do not need a OBD checker. A old style volt meter (non digatel) will do the job and hook it to pin 1 and a ground.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back