The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Engine Fuseable Link/Relay Keeps blowing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFC_CiarlilloM

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2011
Euclid, Ohio
Well, now I thought I had resolved the issue but I just blew the Engine Fuseable Link/Relay(30w) (under the hood) 3 times today.

I bought a cheap battery yesterday from walmart to see if that was the issue (group 26) before I found the blown fuse. I used the fuseable link/relay from the power windows and she started up just fine.

I drove it home last night, then started her up again this morning no problem, went to start it later today and she wouldnt start. I replaced the fuse with a brand new one and she blew the two new ones along with the one last night. Also tried going 10w up from it and it blew as well.

I am unsure where to start to look for the problem. Any ideas?

My new header is throwing off some insane heat so Im thinking that might be the problem but It was sitting awhile when I put the new ones in and tried to turn it over.

Well you are shorting out somewhere. Trying to use a higher amp fuse without added load will cause a fire in your case if it is in fact blowing from a short.

I would start around the alternator.

You have to Identify what circuit the fusible link is in. Identify the components in that circuit and that they could be the cause of that short. If any wire in that circuit is rubbing against bare metal it could ground out and cause the short.
While trouble shooting the same problem on my truck. I replaced the link with a same rated circuit breaker. The problem turned out to be a bare wire that went from the harness to the plug on the transmission. It was grounding out on the transmission case. If it is a component issue like the previous poster stated. It can be found by disconnecting components. Find a good electrical diagram for your car. Good luck.

Thanks everyone for posting. I found the problem. Apparently my terminal connector was cracked and barely in one piece. I noticed it when I went to disconnect the battery to follow the wiring. Thankfully I picked up new terminal connectors and tried to fire her up. She started right up :) I'm glad I didn't have to go diggin for wires just yet but I plan on doing that in the near future.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back