1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

electrical or timing

Posted by joby66, Sep 8, 2012

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. joby66

joby66 Probationary Member

Joined Aug 24, 2012
    argos, Indiana
    Have an 89 colt gt turbo, had an oil leak that shorted the altenator and fried the battery(hot). Believing leak was from front crank seal, I replaced it, the altenator and the battery. Now it won't start. Has fire to plugs, fuel squirts from the line to the fuel rail. Check engine light doesn't stay on but keeps getting the code for the crank angle sensor. Can't afford a new one so put one in from junk yard, still something. Done belt couple times before, but will cam timing marks be exactly in line or will both outside marks be a half a tooth higher. Will something in timing give the code for the crank angle sensor. Electricly the lights on and all seems ok except one time the passenger seatbelt went haywire(jerky) but is fime now. So why the code, does it have to be the sensor is bad or can something else(like timing) give the code?

2. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    Timing will not give the code. If you've got a code for the CAS then trace down that circuit and find out why. The timing marks should be dead on. Look at the inside marks on the cams. Crank must be dead nuts on or looking at the cams is worthless. Everything is relative to the crank.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  3. joby66

Joined Aug 24, 2012
    argos, Indiana
    So a CAS that I know is working is a good place to start, does somebody know somebody with a working one.

4. SleepinGVR4

SleepinGVR4 Proven Member

Joined Sep 5, 2005
    Danville, Pennsylvania
    Just keep an eye out on the FS section or post a WB thread and I'm sure you can get one no problem.

5. 95'RS-T

95'RS-T Proven Member

Joined Mar 10, 2009
    Germansville, Pennsylvania

445  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    · 2G DSM
  6. joby66

Joined Aug 24, 2012
    argos, Indiana
  7. xxNocturnalxx

xxNocturnalxx Proven Member

Joined Nov 5, 2011
    Tacomptan, Washington
    Remember for the 4g61t you need either a 89 or 90' CAS, also the 89' CSMs use a longer wire loom than the DSMs so you may need to undo a few grommets on the firewall plug to make the shorter DSM CAS wires reach, also take into consideration engine movement.

Check base ignition timing and adjust the CAS properly.

If you don't know about them already I suggest checking this forum out.. 4g61t.org • Index page

Also, there is no Mirage GT, the only GT is the Colt, the Mirage is just Mirage turbo.

Mirage turbo
    Colt GT
    :p

Street Build 3K  5

89 Mitsubishi Mirage
    11.746 @ 127.38 · 4G63t Swapped

Street Build 2K  0

89 Colt
    manual · 4G63t Swapped
  8. joby66

Joined Aug 24, 2012
    argos, Indiana
    did the CAS test mentioned in link but left it in and used the motor to turn it over,tested ok(a little weak on crank wire volt.) but was acting like it wanted to fire. Move CAS clockwise a bunch and gave it a little throttle and it started.Did that earlier and it wouldn't. After I set timing I think it should be ok....thanx.