The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Electrical noise from AEM gauges.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHerron

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2011
Missoula, Montana
I have two AEM analog gauges, one is boost and one is oil. I plugged them up and heard noise like what an older TV would make. Well I didn't want to play around with choosing different grounds/power sources so I bench tested them.

When hooking up the ground, then the constant +12V, it won't make noise. It's when I hook up the switched +12V (gauge turns on) that's when it makes noise. Like I said it's electrical noise like a TV left on or a computer screen. Dammit I have a feeling this is normal

Can someone let me know if they hear this on theirs?

I know stepper motors can make noise but a quality design shouldn't. Especially AEM. Look at all our GM trucks, they have the same stepper motors but no noise. Ugh.

Is the gauge close to your radio?
I put a regular AEM wideband gauge next to my radio and I could hear a faint high pitch sound when the gauge was on. I moved the gauge to the A pillar and the sound went away.

I hate the middle man, always have.

So I bench tested them, on my freshly charged 12V battery I use for this kind of stuff, something like 12.7V.

No sensors attached, I'll hook up the ground, then the constant +12V, then the switched +12V. Nothing interfering in the immediate area and no where near the car. My dad came by and listened but didn't hear anything. SO I'm probably just a freak. Sure says something when I hear AEM and I can't hear a GM stepper though ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back