The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Electric Turbos!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There is an issue with electric turbos, and that is power. Not in the power it can produce, but the power that the electric turbo needs to spin enough to create boost. This turbo needed 48v and can only produce about 5psi on average. While its a gain in HP, its just not better than a turbo that uses the exhaust gasses to create its boost.

Yea, I don't know about that... I was impressed by the gains with just 5lbs of boost on something that could basically be bolted onto the intake, but the future is electric drive. I just don't know though... my eclipse was just so exhilarating to drive, and my Bolt is sporty and fun, but just doesn't give me the feels that way that rowing through the gears in the GSX did.

There is an issue with electric turbos, and that is power. Not in the power it can produce, but the power that the electric turbo needs to spin enough to create boost. This turbo needed 48v and can only produce about 5psi on average. While its a gain in HP, its just not better than a turbo that uses the exhaust gasses to create its boost.

Yes, so much of this. The first thing I said when I saw it was "that's not an electric turbo, it's an electric blower, get it right!" but overall, it was the first E-powered forced induction system I've seen worth a damn... not that it's worth the pricetag ;)

The real question is why? why re-invent the wheel? obviously this is for an internal combustion engine of some sort, so why not just use a real turbo on it that runs on free power? rather than use power to make power?

The real question is why? why re-invent the wheel? obviously this is for an internal combustion engine of some sort, so why not just use a real turbo on it that runs on free power? rather than use power to make power?

I think that the word turbo is the problem. This is essentially an electric paxton, where the power isn't being drawn off the motor when it's running like a belt-drive would... It just made me laugh a little, because I remember it being an idea people tossed around 15 years ago that's actually come to fruition... I certainly wouldn't do it but it's amusing :D

Reading the thread, there is issues with cooling the turbo, power, and a few other things which just get a regular turbo. The cost of possibly getting solar panels to charge the battery for the turbo.

Electric motors can get hot, even the really small ones. I raced tamiya cars at hobby shops that had tracks and even won some meets. I had a really good performing car which used a plasma motor which was the best tamiya motor that you could get and I think the RPM was around 20,000. Someone kind of challenged me to see if it could handle an Okami motor which was basically double the rpm and it basically melted my chassis so I couldnt use it anymore, not to mention another guy put his car on the track and if flipped around and his car pretty much exploded from the collision.

But you need a recharge system, cooling if you want extended use, special gearing to up the turbine rpm.

Or you just get a regular turbo that just needs 2 lines and to hook it up to the exhaust system. Or even a belt driven blower installed where the power steering pump is and get an electric steering pump.

Even for an electric turbo, you still need tuning and injectors that can handle the increased airflow into the combustion chamber. Its not that an electric turbo cant be done, but it looks like it cant be done on any sort of extended time period and you might as well just use the exhaust gases that are being pushed out otherwise its just wasted energy and you have to find another energy source to recharge the batteries.

Interesting idea, and if someone wants to do it and it works its still cool I think. But its never going to enter into the main stream or even any sort of competition drag racing, or any racing for that matter. At most it would be good for cars on the road to just pass people but you would then need some kind of stand alone system to trick the ecu into increasing fuel when you want to pass, or need that little extra boost of power.

This could be good for autos looking to stall up on the converter vs nitrous setups and all that hassle. I'd create a twin inlet pipe with filter off the turbo so it doesn't act as an inlet restriction.

Then $2500 for a better footbrake stall = nope.

I was actually thinking about this a bit. It’s hard for an electric turbo to be practical in most situations but here’s a thought.

I think it would be pretty cool if an electric turbo kit came with a modified kind of alternator, that powers the turbo. This way it’s essentially belt-driven without taking power off the crank (in theory). You also get the boost growth as higher alternator rpm will mean higher voltage output to the turbo (instead of the “button boost”). I’m obviously not an expert, I don’t have any clue if it would work this way but just a thought.

These should be called electric superchargers, as turbochargers are powered by exhaust
I somewhat agree. Technically they aren't powered off the crank so they aren't superchargers either. I vote we call them stupidchargers.

I can't even watch Cleetus's click bait channel anymore. He's done and said some of the stupidest "car guy" stuff possible over the years. I used to like him, but I've outgrown his channel because he hasn't really grown. This electric turbo is just an attempt to get views because there is nothing else going on in his shop worth filming right now.

With that said, I do like the F1 technology being used for boosting engines. The long shaft turbo charger that is hooked up to the KERS system is pretty awesome, but this chinabay crap isn't that..... and those systems aren't consumer grade pricing yet either.

Electric turbos are "a thing" but a proper one requires a motor that costs more than what peoples' entire car collections and houses cost put together.

An example is how he has said SEVERAL times that blah blah clutch can hold xyz horsepower.

Clutches hold torque, they're sold/rated by torque. Period, the end, anyone that says a clutch holds whatever horsepower doesn't know what they're talking about.

2500 price tag for 5psi. You might as well just buy a turbo engine for that price and have 500 dollars left over for some upgrades. You can get a complete turbo 4g63 for around 2000 dollars, use that 500 to refresh the engine and have boost all the time and not when you press the button. those engines come with everything too, trans, wiring harness, ecu. The only thing they don't have is the intercooler and piping and air filter.

I don't know why people are even wasting development time trying to make these work. It's reinventing something that already works better and is cheaper.

I don't know why people are even wasting development time trying to make these work. It's reinventing something that already works better and is cheaper.

Because click bait youtube views on a channel with over 1M subscribers is $$$$$. They don't care at all if the product works or not or if you buy one, what they do care about is if you watch the video and give it another view on the counter.

I meant the people trying to create an electric turbo. Of course people that create these videos want views and clicks, but trying to reinvent turbos is just kind of pointless unless they can get the same performance for less money.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back