The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECU needs to reset/reprogram after unplugging battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjrock5

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 19, 2006
Around, Connecticut
My 99 GSX is now completely stock. Stock cams, stock black box ecu, intake mani, stock exhaust, stock 2g throttle body, etc. I finally put it back together after it sitting for about two years. Prior to it sitting it was running ECMLink ('95 EPROM), 1g throttle body, smim, FP Green, FP2 cams, 3" turboback, etc.

My problem is now that the car is stock the idle is low and erratic. It idles at about ~500rpm. I haven't touched DSMs in a few years now but I'm lead to believe that the ECU needs a couple of days of me driving the car for the ECU to "learn" all the sensors and for the idle to fix itself. Is this accurate? Or might I have a TPS, IAC, or BISS screw problem? The 2g throttle body that I reinstalled had the same IAC, TPS, and BISS screw that it had prior to me removing it when I started modding the car. The TPS did not get moved so its adjustment should be ok since the car ran great when it had it installed a few years ago.

Another quick note, the car has a full tank of 93 octane gas that sat with the car for those two years. The car runs great on the highway and really any point other than idle so I believe the gas is fine.

Here's a link where I sort of get my theories from:

[TMO] ECU Reset Mythology

Any help would be appreciated.

My 99 GSX is now completely stock. Stock cams, stock black box ecu, intake mani, stock exhaust, stock 2g throttle body, etc. I finally put it back together after it sitting for about two years. Prior to it sitting it was running ECMLink ('95 EPROM), 1g throttle body, smim, FP Green, FP2 cams, 3" turboback, etc.

My problem is now that the car is stock the idle is low and erratic. It idles at about ~500rpm. I haven't touched DSMs in a few years now but I'm lead to believe that the ECU needs a couple of days of me driving the car for the ECU to "learn" all the sensors and for the idle to fix itself. Is this accurate? Or might I have a TPS, IAC, or BISS screw problem? The 2g throttle body that I reinstalled had the same IAC, TPS, and BISS screw that it had prior to me removing it when I started modding the car. The TPS did not get moved so its adjustment should be ok since the car ran great when it had it installed a few years ago.

Another quick note, the car has a full tank of 93 octane gas that sat with the car for those two years. The car runs great on the highway and really any point other than idle so I believe the gas is fine.

Here's a link where I sort of get my theories from:

[TMO] ECU Reset Mythology

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you using a 1G TB or a 2G TB? I would say you need to BLT and adjust the BISS after the BLT to idle correctly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back