The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Drivers side door not opening. Only from inside. Need help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GEEZEY

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2009
Elgin, Illinois
RESOLVED! Ok I'm fed up with the f****** door. I can only open it from the inside.

I broke the handle off so i replaced the handle thinking that was the issue.
NOPE! I WAS WRONG.

So when i pull the inside handle the rod moves to the left and opens the door.

When i go on the outside and lift up on the handle, the little rod moves down, but doesnt unlock.

CAN SOME ONE HELP PLEASE!!!!

i hate having to roll down my window in the winter and opening from the inside.

Last edited:
1:just spray sum WD-40 on the door hinge and let it soak...... it must be stuck.....

2: It could be that you bent the rod too much while you were installing the new handle and now it doesn't go that far down enough to open the door. if thats your problem you are going to have to straighten it up a bit.

okay so i figured out that the inside door rod and the out side door rod are not connected.

When you pull the handle on the outside it pushes a rod down then this piece looks like its supposed to be conected to the inside rod, but its not.

how do i fix that?

the rod that goes down from the out side handle is pushing this piece down far enough to open. do i need to take the whole white piece out? or what?

sorry im just so sick of not being able to open my f****** door from the outside like normal people.:(

Those door handles are a pain in the ###. I had the same problem but it just ended up being that one of those mettle rods weren't connected right. It's probably something simple that you just have overlooked. Just go through and check it thoroughly and hopefully you will find something. Good luck.

Its a pain in my ass. The rod wont go down far enough to push this piece up.

Is there a way that i can take that whole assembly out? like the white piece?

I haven't had my door panel off for a while so I don't know exactly what your problem is without pictures. But you could always put a small bolt through that piece so it doesn't have to travel as far to push it down.

ok now that you noticed that the rod wont go down far enough; you see the gap that is at the bottom of the rod right?? that is the part that touches with the latch, but now that is bent it wont go down far enough. what you have to do now is fill up that gap with plastic weld to make up for the extra room that was made when the rod was bent just enought for it to be close to touching the other piece. This will create less of a gap since your filling the empty space between the rod and the latch.
Thats going to make up for the bent rod; assuming that a bent rod is your problem. This happened to me once while replacing my right side door handle and after i filled up the empty gap it worked perfect.

I haven't had my door panel off for a while so I don't know exactly what your problem is without pictures. But you could always put a small bolt through that piece so it doesn't have to travel as far to push it down.

Or you can do what this guy said^^^^^ .......... actually i tried this first but it was too hard cus of the room so i just ended up putting sum plastic weld to fill up the gap instead LOL.

hopefully just a bent rod was your problem.

Last edited:
im having the same problem with my door too...like i can unlock it and open in for inside only...and my window rolls down and slow when it gets to the top..i think something is blocking but i cant see anythingWTF

thanks for the help guys...i ended up putting a small bolt in the rod and using some
wd40 on the rails for the windows and it all worked out thanks again :thumb:

Yeah no problem. You know that white piece thats protecting the locking thing and the handle rod? pop that off and you can see what is messing up. Mine was as simple as bending a little piece back to where it was.

I'm having the same exact problem, but I didn't replace the handle or anything. The car sat all winter and when I went to take it out of storage the door would only open from the inside.

I took the panel off this weekend and found the rod connected to the outside handle doesn't move down far enough to open the door, but it's so close. Everything looks in place, but I'm at a loss why it happened from sitting in the storage unit and never being messed with.

I tried a bolt through the fork at the end of the rod but it just binds up. It's a pain in the ass to get to anything up in there. Do I need to take the door handle off? I'm open to suggestions or help from anyone who has had the same problem. Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back