The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Do you think I need a new tensioner??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95GSXCO

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 15, 2006
Sterling, Colorado
Iam having a knock sound around 3000 rpms. I lifted the car up and had the wife rev it a couple of times and it sounded worst under the car. I thought maybe the flywheel bolts might be loose. Which was not a big deal because I had a new clutch to install. Well needless to say it was not them, So I jump on the forums start reading about the tensioner might be making the nosie. I crack it open today to see this when its reving but whats odd is the knock is no longer there? One more thing is I noticed that the crank sprocket has a chipped tooth on it where a bolt goes! So I have a 6 bolt just sitting doing nothing is the crank sprocket the same for the 6 and 7?

Sorry about the vid it was taken on my Blackberry.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZFP2xQLoEU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UZFP2xQLoEU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ok I found out the sprocket is the same for all years.:D

Was the belt hitting the timing cover? Also take a look at the timing belt cover around the crank pulley. Does it look like it's been rubbing there? The crank pulley (harmonic balancer) could be taking a turn for the worse. Separating and causing a knocking noise as well as rubbing the cover.

Was the belt hitting the timing cover? Also take a look at the timing belt cover around the crank pulley. Does it look like it's been rubbing there? The crank pulley (harmonic balancer) could be taking a turn for the worse. Separating and causing a knocking noise as well as rubbing the cover.

Well the crank pulley is a alum. one off ebay like this oneeBay Motors: OBX BILLET CRANK PULLEY ECLIPSE TALON GST GSX 4G63 BLUE (item 220384076322 end time Mar-31-09 22:25:59 PDT)

I think I may just leave the cover off and put it back together and go for a spin and see if it still makes the knock? And the sound is not in the vid it was just there to show the belt move like it does in the vid.

Totally agree with the above... Unless you buy a fuidamper brand go with OEM, the rest are just pulleys that do no work towads deadening the harmonics of the engine and will nt only make a lot of noises but IMO (not proven on a DSM YET!) is that it will also cause issues with other internal engine parts and mainly help a lof ot stuff vibrate loose.. ust my thoughts and what little ove'seen of people running them. Everyone i see with one of those or a set of "underdrive pulleys" on an eclipse, I do my best to talk them back into OEM, and i can't say it's the pulley, but i think it's the decisions these people have made on their parts purchases in general that keep them coming back for repair work untill the car is back to the most common of build pieces when it comesto what to use between OEM and aftermarket on a lot of parts that aren't realy performance related. I've got one friend i just can't talk out of taking his udnedrive pulleys off his eclipse, but it's his car. The thing is i've owed 32 cars in my lifetime (started out fixing and selling cars a long time ago) and the one area i've learnmed not to "F" with is the stock pulley system. very car i've ever owned or seen with them has had issues, and i'm not bringing this up to dog under-drives... But that crap-o alumiunum crank pulley is right in th same line of crap if you ask me.. I"m not trying to personnally insult you but i've been working on cars for so long i've learned there's some part that you just have to be straight out and almost rude about to get some one to understand how crappy there are... 4g63 aftermarket crank pulleys and any underdrive pulley system on a daily driven car are 2 of the worst IMHO.

TO me the motor doesn't sound bad but there's so much white noise from everything around the engine moving and making sounds that i can't get a good listen.

Use a mechanic's stethescope ot just a long screwdriver or piece of a brookm handle.. place it against areas of the engine and put your ear on it.. YOu will amaxingly hear what's goingon inside the engine...the you can isolate if it's in the head (lifter) bottom end (bearing) or if it's just a tensioner as you will hear it best with your timing cover off with your stechi on the front cover (kinda a PITA to test that) but you can rule thingsw out easily this way..

sorry this islong, it's late and i just got in and need to go to bed... I turned 32 today WWEEEEEeeeeeee!

Well Happy Bday turboglenn I understand what you two are saying I cant even tell you why I bought that thing it was over 4 years ago LOL. Iam really starting to think its a rod bearing going out! The thing that gets me is that when you drive it at about 3000 RPM + it will knock like a rod going out and when you free rev it its alot harder to hear? Do you guys really think that the pulley can take out a rod bearing? Every time I have heard bearings going out its anytime the motor is running but I guess it will just get worst as time goes on till its knocking all the time. Would you guys suggest replacing the mains also? This motor has maybe 2500-3000 miles on it.

Also I think its kind of funny you can hear the knock but the knock sensor wont pick it up threw link:confused:WTF

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back