The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

My new setup - What do you think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StreetThisDSM

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 29, 2004
Barberton, Ohio
Well I have everything ordered and almost ready to roll. I am just waiting on a few small things to arrive and the engine is almost all together and ready to go. I just wanted to see what you all thought of my current setup and the goals I have. Here is a current mod list:

Block:

- Bored/honed, wall clearance set to .005", decked .003", cleaned, etc..
- Ross 8.5:1 (20 over) pistons
- Ross chromoly rings (file gapped accordingly)
- SCAT H-beam rods
- ARP head studs
- APP rod studs
- Balance shaft eliminator kit
- Cometic head gasket
- All new gaskets, seals, etc..

Head:

- STT Ported/polished/knife-edged I/E ports
- 3 angle valve job
- New valve guides
- Pressure tested and cleaned, etc..
- Forced Performance (FP Cam2) 272 I/E cams
- All new gaskets, seals, etc..

Turbo/Exhaust:

- Bullseye Power 60 Trim T3/T04e w/ 38mm internal gate and 22 pound spring actuator
- Stainless Steel feed/return lines
- Fully ported 1st gen exhaust manifold
- 2.5" mandrel o2 housing with external dump
- STT 3" mandrel downpipe with catalytic convertor eliminator
- STT 3" mandrel cat-back exhaust with no muffler or resonaotor

Fuel:

- Walbro 255 high pressure fuel pump
- Aeromotive fuel pressure regulator
- Delphi PTE 780cc injectors
- FuelInjectorClinic fpr install kit with all AN fittings/lines, etc..
- Keydriver stage 3 chip set to 780cc injectors, 8000 rpm rev limiter, etc..
- MAF Translator
- 3" GM Maf
- Apexi SAFC II

Drivetrain:

- Shepherd Racing AWD rebuilt tranny
- ACT 2600 clutch

Other:

- SBR 1g front mount intercooler kit
- 14" slim line fan
- SS Studs stainless studs
- MBC
- Datalogger and PALM IIIc
- Magnecore wires and NGK 7's plugs
- KYB AGX adjustables
- Eibach pro-kit springs
- SS brake lines
- 2nd gen big brakes

I'm sure there is a lot more small things here and there. But they really do not matter. My goal is to make around 500 at the wheels when needed and high 10's in the 1/4. Of course that will be after I get a new rear end and better tires hehe.

Let me know what you guys think. I wish I had money to buy a intake manifold. But I think the stock 1st gen will be fine for awhile. But for now, I think its enough - I'm broke LOL.

Thanks guys!! :)

Congratulations! Looks like a healthy list of parts! That 60 trim is a big turbo so you probably could've ran an external wastegate instead of the internal, but I'm not so familiar with their full line of turbo's so it might not have been an option. Looks like as far as internally, you're probably good for 10's but to really get in that range you might need bigger injectors and probably a lot more tuning than an afc can do. But, I can be wrong. Otherwise, just grab some slicks and a roll cage (you'll need one if you're that fast) and drive like a madman! GOOD LUCK! :thumb:

kraka said:
Congratulations! Looks like a healthy list of parts! That 60 trim is a big turbo so you probably could've ran an external wastegate instead of the internal, but I'm not so familiar with their full line of turbo's so it might not have been an option. Looks like as far as internally, you're probably good for 10's but to really get in that range you might need bigger injectors and probably a lot more tuning than an afc can do. But, I can be wrong. Otherwise, just grab some slicks and a roll cage (you'll need one if you're that fast) and drive like a madman! GOOD LUCK! :thumb:

After talking to David at Bullseye-Power, he said he has a customer making 500 whp with the internal 38mm gate with no creeping problems, etc.. So I'll see how it treats me :)

I just dont see why you dont go external, you have evrything else

i couldnt hold less than 16psi without creeping, and at 25psi seems the flapper opens a hair and i drop a bit. Not BAD tho. could probly tighten WG arm a little more but. Setup looks good, identicle motor build im currently trying to afford this winter hehe. who did machine work? did u assemble the motor?

anconover said:
i couldnt hold less than 16psi without creeping, and at 25psi seems the flapper opens a hair and i drop a bit. Not BAD tho. could probly tighten WG arm a little more but. Setup looks good, identicle motor build im currently trying to afford this winter hehe. who did machine work? did u assemble the motor?

My best friend works at a machine shop, so I got everything done there. And as far as assembly goes. I do all of that myself.

you might want to go with an evo 3 or an sbr manifold, especially with that big of a turbo,cause the 1stgen are notorious for cracking and i dont think you are going to want to have to pull it all apart 2-3 months down the road

StreetThis, are you bringing the talon to Myrtle?
I'll be the guy w/the red 2g TSi.

Some of the new reman 1g manifolds are less prone to crack. But the 1g's are MORE prone to crack, ive seen plenty of 2g's crack as well. It could last a long time, or a month. Friend has a 1g manifold, manifold is the original, not a single crack, and i ported the hell out of it.

Whatd you go with for ring gaps?

Two things:

1. I would have opted to go external wastegate, probably a Tial 38mm would have been perfect. Also, I hope this is mainly a drag car, it is going to have serious lag issues.

2. 1G manifolds are complete ass and really the eyesore of your otherwise nice mod list. I am suprised SBR would want you to use that if you in fact consulted them. I would really just sell that 1G and get a 2G or Evo and heavily port that.

The turbo will hold you back, especially if you are shooting for 500whp. The turbine side does not flow enough to aid you at upper RPM's since you have a hybrid settup, I would go full garrett, t-61 or t-66 and make your life much easier.

I didn't read the goals, I doubt you are going to make 500Whp with that turbo setup.

Sounds like a beast of a setup, but if you got a 3 angle valve job you might as well have gotten a 5 angle one, cuz if Im correct, on a 3 angle what they do it make the extra 2 angles on the end of the valve so it has 3, but wont you need another 2 angles to match those 2 extra ones on the valve on the head?

the 1g manifolds are more likely to crack. its not a bad manifold, the runners are larger on them to begin with. its not something id worry about.... And a 60trim, isnt going to have serious lag isssues...?

I wouldnt say the 60trim will hold him back. and a t-66 is the last turbo id think of to go for a 500whp goal. 60trim flows what, 52lb min? roughly good for 520hp, 500whp can be done on it, but cant expect to run 25lbs boost and pump gas obviously. 60-1 or FP3065 would probly be a better choice to more easily hit your goal but i wouldnt go crazy over having a 1g manifold, and i def wouldnt go with a t-66.

Ive been runninga 50trim, on a motor with 60k for about a year at 25psi on pump. The compression is slowly dropping, and im also building a motor. Although stock motor can handle 450whp, doesnt mean itll do it forever. And then your limited to what you can upgrade to later on when you decide your current setup isnt enough. I know i probly wont be on the 50trim too much longer before ill want a 3065 =P

anconover said:
the 1g manifolds are more likely to crack. its not a bad manifold, the runners are larger on them to begin with. its not something id worry about.... And a 60trim, isnt going to have serious lag isssues...?

I wouldnt say the 60trim will hold him back. and a t-66 is the last turbo id think of to go for a 500whp goal. 60trim flows what, 52lb min? roughly good for 520hp, 500whp can be done on it, but cant expect to run 25lbs boost and pump gas obviously. 60-1 or FP3065 would probly be a better choice to more easily hit your goal but i wouldnt go crazy over having a 1g manifold, and i def wouldnt go with a t-66.

True, a 60-1 would have made his goal easier. 520hp turbo doesn't equate to 500whp and he is on the stock intake manifold too which will be restrictive once you go for big #'s. A T-66 is basically a 25G, Roy Navarez runs one on his GSX but definately not a turbo I would just recommend. The 60-1 was a better recommendation. 60trims can definately have lag issues if all the tuning bugs aren't worked out and the setup correct.

I'd love to get a SBR exhaust manifold, but money is WAY to tight right now. But we'll see. It may happen.

As far as the turbo goes. Yes 500 whp is possible. David said they already had a customer put down 540 (awd) whp on this turbo at around 28 psi. Also with the hybrid exhaust housing, 15 psi at around 3800 rpm is possible assuming you have all the supporting mods to help increase spool up time.

Stapl3 said:
Why are you building a motor for a 60 trim?

Because piston #3 from the original engine has a whole in it haha. So why not rebuild and have a motor that can handle the abuse and power that I want. OMG

PGTred95 said:
StreetThis, are you bringing the talon to Myrtle?
I'll be the guy w/the red 2g TSi.

Car won't be running till December most likely :(

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back