The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Do I need to change my second gear syncro

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulb1320

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 9, 2011
Calgary, AB_Canada
Here is my problem with my car, it grinds and is very difficult to get into second gear, double clutching and rev matching helped but often times it still would not go into gear so I opted to skip second gear entirely until I had a chance to pull my tranny apart. (note I am a college student so this is just a fix what is needed scenario I cannot afford a full rebuild)

I pulled my trans apart and found a broken 1-2 Shift fork and a syncro that is only slightly worn.

Was the broken shift fork the cause of all my problems? or was it also a bad syncro? I have a new shift fork however I seem to have purchased a double syncro when I need just the gear.

Can I get away with just replacing the shift fork? I am on a very tight budget and schedule and cannot wait for a new syncro to arrive (local mitsu dealer says about 2-3 weeks)

Thanks in advance.

Thats actually what I have now. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out how it fits in. I had a few of my mechanic friends take a look at it and they said it was the wrong part and that it wouldn't fit.
I am almost positive I need the single syncro ring on this same website. ( it looks identical to the original part)

So the fork was completely broken? IF it was actually broken than the transmission wouldn't shift into 1st or second gear. I would just replace what is damaged. As stated, contact jacks transmission for any parts that you need.

About one inch of the fork broke off. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Also I completely forgot to mention that the tranny and tcase are actually from a 96. I feel dumb now because I forgot to tell mitsu that when I ordered my parts. Are any other parts besides the syncro different

About one inch of the fork broke off. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Also I completely forgot to mention that the tranny and tcase are actually from a 96. I feel dumb now because I forgot to tell mitsu that when I ordered my parts. Are any other parts besides the syncro different

93+ have the same setup for 1st, and 2nd gear.

There should be no difference, the transmission should still have a double synchro 2nd gear. Please take pictures of the parts you need, and I will give you the proper part numbers.

Please take a photo showing the wear patterns on the 1st/2nd hub and slider engagement teeth that line up with the synchro teeth and the gear engagement teeth.

At a minimum, replace the 1/2 shift fork, end shaft bearings, and viscous coupler snapring. Thoroughly inspect everything else, clean all the oil passageways, and disassemble/clean the gear clusters and inspect them for other damage from debris in your gear oil. Also, take pictures of your hub and slider keys and springs for the 1/2 and 3/4 to show the wear patterns and condition of the detent pads and the locking ends of the springs.

93+ have the same setup for 1st, and 2nd gear.

So it should have a three piece 2nd gear syncro? because my 2nd gear syncro is most defiantly one piece. and it seems a bit larger in inside diameter than the double syncro.

(I should add that I am not 100% sure that this is a 96 tranny. I bought it second hand and the guy told me it was a 96, all the mounts were the same though)

I will take a bunch a pics tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
The 94-98.05 AWD 2G transmissions all use MD745896 double synchros; which are interchangable with MD746435 double synchros for 2nd gear.

Are you sure you are looking at 2nd gear??

I am pretty sure I am looking at this correctly. I am following the service manual

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Everything looks the same until number 11, where 11,12,and 13 are all replaced by one syncro ring.
The pics will have to wait as the cluster has already been put back together and I won't have access to a press for a few days.

If it is a single synchro 2nd gear, then someone has been in your transmission before and switched to a 1993 and older gear. Use MD742536 for the brass single synchro. They are about $16.00 each.

As well, you are looking at the 2G FWD transmission illustration above.

If it is a single synchro 2nd gear, then someone has been in your transmission before and switched to a 1993 and older gear. Use MD742536 for the brass single synchro. They are about $16.00 each.

As well, you are looking at the 2G FWD transmission illustration above.

Thanks for the reply

Would anything else have been changed when the gear was changed? Because someone was definitely in there before me. I have a spare partially torn down 97 tranny but it needs a 2nd gear syncro and one end bearing. I will pull it apart later to see if it has the double syncro. If it does can I change over the whole cluster once I replace the syncro and bearing?

Yes, the gear is interchangable. They both use the same intermediate shaft, hub and slider, springs/keys, etc.

If your 2nd gear from the other transmission is a double synchro unit (MD748576 = FWD 1995.08-1999, MD748577 = AWD - 1995.07-1999 double synchro 2nd gear), then use it along with MD745896 double synchro. Be sure to use a new snapring on the end of the shaft (MD703780 - 1.5mm thick).

The 1/2 hub and slider springs are MD742445 x 3 if you are reusing your 1st gear synchro, otherwise, change to a MD742419 1st gear shallow single synchro and use 4x MD742445 springs with MD742775 x 3 keys. If your hub and slider is junk, it is MD749414 for a replacement.

The 1/2 shift fork for the FWD is MD720341, the 1/2 shift fork for the AWD is MD723439.

If you need any of these parts, I can ship them internationally without issues. I normally have them in stock, and regularly ship out part orders nationally and internationally.

Awesome once I get my hands on a press again I'll see what I have to work with. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

One last question, do you know the part number of the top end bearing on the intermediate shaft.

you should also look at the sliding hub and make sure it isnt worn down ive build alot of t5 traneys and if the sincro is worn down on them the sliding is to most of the time

Awesome once I get my hands on a press again I'll see what I have to work with. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

One last question, do you know the part number of the top end bearing on the intermediate shaft.

FWD Turbo Models = F5M33
Intermediate Shaft Inner Bearing (ALL YEARS) MD726236
Intermediate Shaft Outer Bearing (ALL YEARS) MD726237

Inner refers to the bellhousing side (1st gear side of shaft).
Outer refers to the 5th gear cover side (4th gear side of shaft).

AWD Models = W5M33
Intermediate Shaft Inner Bearing (ALL YEARS) MD726236
Intermediate Shaft Outer Bearing (ALL YEARS) MD736638

Inner refers to the bellhousing side (1st gear side of shaft).
Outer refers to the 5th gear cover side (4th gear side of shaft).

As well, Page 22B-48 refers to the W5M33 1990-1993 transmission gearset layout of the intermediate shaft with a single synchro on 2nd gear. Page 22B-49 refers to the F5M33 1991-1999 transmission gearset layout of the intermediate shaft with the double synchro on 2nd gear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back