The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Do i need a new starter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apckofllamas

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2012
Wellington, Ohio
my battery is at 12v and when i watch my multimeter when i go to crank it it drops to around 2-3 volts but i dont hear a click and it dosent even try to crank so is this a sign i need a new starter? im having a no start issue after i put on my walbro 255, aermotive AFPR, big 16, also did my intake manifold gasket. i have gone over and checked everything being plugged in, grounds are connected, and all fuses look good.

my battery is at 12v and when i watch my multimeter when i go to crank it it drops to around 2-3 volts but i dont hear a click and it dosent even try to crank so is this a sign i need a new starter? im having a no start issue after i put on my walbro 255, aermotive AFPR, big 16, also did my intake manifold gasket. i have gone over and checked everything being plugged in, grounds are connected, and all fuses look good.

when replacing your manifold gasket did you happen to remove or break the ground strap?

He's probably talking about the braided ground that goes from the throttle cable bracket to the firewall.

the starter ground goes from one of the transmission bolts to the ground.

But since you said your voltage goes from 12v to 2v your battery is really drained or bad.

He's probably talking about the braided ground that goes from the throttle cable bracket to the firewall.

the starter ground goes from one of the transmission bolts to the ground.

But since you said your voltage goes from 12v to 2v your battery is really drained or bad.

both of the those grounds are intact and solid, so i guess ill throw the battery on charge for the night and see what happens in the morning. even though it reads 12v when not cranking?

Should be like 12.4-12.6.

The reason the voltage drops so low is because it's not holding charge anymore.
I have had the same problem in the past. You can always take it to autozone and have it tested for free.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back