The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Direct Port Meth questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talon4show

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 17, 2005
Pensacola, Florida
I am interested in going for the Direct Port Methanol Injection setup. My SMIM has some bungs ready to be tapped on it already so I'd like to use that for DPMI. I have a few questions:

-Who has done this and what are your opinions on it?
-What size nozzles should I get (4 of them obviously, I believe my kit came with the M10 which I believe would be too big)
-Where is a good place to get the nozzles and the splitter piece from one to four lines (unsure of the term for that)
-What fail safes are you guys using? I will NOT install Meth on my car without one so I am now shopping around. I see Snow Performance now makes one that you can get for under $200.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

If this will help my setup is:

-Fully built motor from top to bottom (expect for stock valves)
-AGP 50-trim
-will probably run about 27psi with 100% methanol
-SMIM
-cast exhaust manifold
-Walboro 255
-FIC 650s

For nozzle size it depends on how much fuel you plan on replacing with meth. One of the vendors sells nozzles that screw right in and run them from a distrabution block like N20. Fail safe would be a pressure switch with a silinoid valve, at least thats what I use. No boost, no juice. I don't remember reading about anyone running a setup like this. I would run a second set of injectors with a aquamist controler.

Well my buddy that runs this on his SRT4 told me to check out coolingmist.com for the parts. I went ahead and emailed them with some basic questions. I would like to have it as I was spraying out of a single M10 nozzle. He recommend 4 M3 nozzles and they have the "distribution block" type fitting as well. With the 4 nozzles, distribution piece, and check valve its around $180. Not too bad. Hell, after its all said and done with the fail safe I will probably have a $1000 meth setup. Its all good though, should be a fun project and I would rather spend extra to do what I want than to toast a fully built motor.

When I get the motor broken in and all seems well, I will start this and update this thread. :thumb:

When going direct port you normal run smaller nozzles than when having it down stream. This is because your not giving the spray time for the mixture to be absorbed by the intake air temps. I would run a 1 gph nozzle on each cylinder. Your going to need nozzle holders and other items. This is what your going to need. DevilsOwn Injection

So, this "kit" you sell. Is that including the nozzles? What nozzle is 1 GPH? (M1, M3, M3, etc?)

The kit does not come with nozzle they are sperate.

I am personal not a big fan of it. I think for what it cost other things can be done to achive more performance. I like to keep things simple. For some applications you might make more power with it.

I think notihing beats a properly designed system. "getting the right size single nozzle"

I am personal not a big fan of it. I think for what it cost other things can be done to achive more performance. I like to keep things simple. For some applications you might make more power with it.

I think notihing beats a properly designed system. "getting the right size single nozzle"

dain, im with this guy. their are better things to be done to that talon you got. you will be fine with with 1 m10 nozzle. that unless you plan on making that talon4show a all out drag car! ROFL

Yea that is one reason I didn't just jump right into it. We're talking like an extra $200ish for this setup. I have recently been reading about people's M1 nozzles getting clogged too easily as well. Probably not going to mess with DPMI and just put it in the pipe with the M10 I have now.

David, you lock it up!

Should not have any issues with the nozzles. The filters should filter down smaller than the orfice thats in the nozzle.

Why would you do this when time after time running one or twin nozzles in the intercooler piping has shown great results?

The point of Meth injection is to have all the spray dissipate in the hot piping, putting the nozzle so close to the cylinder head gives you less time to dissipate the heat resulting in a smaller nozzle doing less of what you want.

Run an M10 on straight Meth progressive and happy boosting, no need to spend more and get less. If you want to push the envelope, run preturbo injection at 1 or 2gph with an M8 post turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back