The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DD/Long Term '97 TSi build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRed12

Proven Member
Jan 23, 2013
Smithfield, Virginia
Whats goin' on guys! Well after a much longer wait than I had hoped for I FINALLY got myself a DSM. Long story short, had the money in Feb. 2013 but elected to get a '91 S-10 project. Turned out the S-10 was horribly modified and I wasn't going to be able to fix it, so I got rid of it.

NOW, 3 months later, I finally got my second (of 2) big checks and decided it was DSM Time! So I scoured the webs for local 2g 4g63 cars. I had found GSX for $3k but it wouldn't start (owner thought it might be out of time), needed new tires, and a few minor things. Talked to the owner, got him down to 2300, but i was lookin more like 2k. He informed me his brother had a auto GSX for sale for 2k. So I sent a txt to his brother and we started negotiating. Well, ended up settling at 2k and I would get a new triple gauge pod, gauges, and turbo timer. All it would need is a new water pump. Then again, I needed to get a hitch for my truck ($140) and rent a uhaul trailer ($100ish). All in all I would have about 2300 invested before doing a good tune up.

Back to the internet I went. Ended up finding a 1997 TSi listed at $2500. Talked the owner to 1800 cash and I would pick it up as soon as I got a chance. And thats pretty much the end of it, the car is now mine and is sitting on the street parked behind my truck (parents are driveway hogs!)

Well after I got her home and started taking a look at her I started in on the tune up.

SO FAR:
New spark plugs
New Mobil1 Oil Filter
New Mobil1 Oil
New air filter
Fresh coolant
3M Headlight restoration

NEED TO DO:
Buy trans. filter
Pour in new Mobil1 ATF
Paint Wiper blade Arms

I also went ahead and ordered a few parts ### I wanted some shiny stuff

ON ORDER:
FMIC w/ 2.5" Tubing
Intake Tubing
2.5" BOV adapter flange
New Black molded carpet (Not exactly shiny, but new and not stained and wont smell like ass)

I also have a shopping list for the junkyard when I get a chance to go:
2GB Eclipse front bumper
2GB Fog Lights
2GB Rear Bumper
2GB Tail Lights
2GB Hoop Spoiler
New Hatch (Mine has a bit of rust and bad tint on the glass)
Chrysler/Dodge ignition coils (CoP conversion planned)
1G TB
ECU (to get EPROMed)
4g63 valve cover (to PC black and bronze)

I know one thing everyone is waiting for is PICS:
kRCLMtA.jpg

RWLOcIM.jpg

Passenger side (before) - Driver size (after)
m0ZDFSL.jpg

Both Sides Done
jFe9urW.jpg

Wiper arms in not so good shape
YmIcZWD.jpg

New door handle on
7C44sH4.jpg

Old broken handle
nFFyVI9.jpg

Well, thats it for now, I will update after I get the parts I ordered in and get the the junkyard for some parts!

Awesome find for $1800! Blue 2gb's are impossible to find in my area for any price. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.

Good luck at the junkyard. I've hit the jackpot before there and it feels goooood.
Add to your list...
14b turbo w/ j-pipe and turbo water/oil lines. This would be a solid upgrade if the talon is on stock t25
Any solid electrical connectors you can find , they got old and break, spares are a life saver
90' oil cooler
98/99 black box ecu
99'black leather interior
99' silver face gauges
Spare throttle bodys and ISC MOTORS
Timing belt covers
2g door handles
and clean talon bumpers/strakes

Some of this stuff is not too hard to find and can be had cheap and sold if you don't want it for your own car.

Minor Update:

Got to the junk yard a few days ago and it was "so so" successful. I manage to get a few Dodge/Chrysler coils, 2gb rear bumper, and eclipse tail light assembly.

I have also purchased all new blank rotors and new pads. Then while searching CL I managed to find a guy selling a 2g front steering/ suspension set-up (Ball joints, UCA, LCA, and outer tie rods) which I managed to pick up for $150. Then noticed he had a spare valve cover, So picked it up for another $10.

Of my orders placed, I have received my new black carpet, FP manifold off fellow forum member beihl304, and my new BOV Flange.

Still Waiting for the FMIC and Intake.

I also think I will be doing a stock rebuild on the engine here soon. Its smoking a bit out of the exhaust and it looks a little on the white side. So I did some looking and a headgasket set would be about $120ish for everything I would need, then I figured "while im at it, throw a timing set at it".. and thats another say $120... then I found a complete rebuild kit for $370ish. When I go to rebuild the motor I will also Clean the engine bay up and rattle can it Black and see how much of a pain its going to be to relocate the fuse box to the glovebox.

New Carpet
beqZXqf.jpg

Also Picked up a new water neck
OBQhU4p.jpg

Pads and Rotors
9Wy5PSW.jpg

Coils for CoP plans
10A1Bpn.jpg

Tail lights... need to clean the the green off
BeLdoLS.jpg

2gb Rear Bumper, pretty good shape, especially for a junkyard piece
23Mj7QF.jpg

All Stock 4g63
oW5xTbl.jpg

Whats goin on guys! Its been a while since I have gotten to update, a good friend passed away after getting in a car accident recently, and I work with her boyfriend and brother (who has been a close friend for years). So in order for them to take care of what they needed to and give them time to grieve, I pulled double duty and went 2 weeks with no off time. But I have been able to get a few things done here and there when I could.

First thing I got knocked out was my new carpet

Everything ripped out
QO3DImS.jpg

The Talon is funding it's self! All in all, I found about $2 and some change under the seats, center console, and even all the way under the carpet
PcId3Zr.jpg

Out with the old
oYa1DxL.jpg

In with the new
IafxBxD.jpg

Then I got around to the new brakes

Front all buttoned up
WqM7hqQ.jpg

Workin on the rears
zZMEyMr.jpg

Thought I would work on the fuel system a bit, so I pulled the injectors and ran some concentrated injector cleaner through
XXsIDK5.jpg

I also replaced the fuel filter... and I don't think it had been changed in the previous 170K miles. This is some of the fuel that poured out of it.
zYABaOa.jpg

I also got my FP mani from a fellow forum member in so I got it cleaned up and painted with VHT Flameproof paint.
5BIWDEB.jpg

jtb7w8R.jpg

My Godspeed FMIC came and I got it installed after having to make some custom brackets
mQJ7j6f.jpg

x4stjG2.jpg

Got the new intake tube installed (oem tube was dry rotted and cracking, so it had to go)
fuolRA0.jpg

Managed to get the motor cleaned up a bit, painted the upper heatshield with flameproof and new plug wires on.
izOv2aA.jpg

Well, its time to do a bit of planning... and saving for that matter. I am now looking at rebuilding the 4g63 and the transmission on the talon... and scrapping some of the cheapo parts that I have put in. Hopefully my buddy can get me some good deals on things like my BOV and ARP hardware.

But as far as the rebuild goes... this is what I am lookin at so far:
BSE Kit
Gates Timing set
Gates water pump
ITM Gasket set
OEM Mitsubishi Oil Pump
ARP Head studs
ARP Main studs
Clevite Bearings
Mahle Forged pistons @ 85mm, 8.8:1 CR
Brian Crower 272 Cams
VRSF Short Route FMIC
MHI Big 16g Turbo
Megan Racing SS O2 housing
GM 3" MAF w/ MAFT
Dynatek Arc-2 CDI
EVO 9 ECU
FIC 850cc Low-Z injectors
Walbro 255
Fuelab 51502 AFPR
Fuelab 81801 Fuel Filter

Machine work to be done:
Balanced and Cryoed OEM Connecting Rods
Balanced and Lighted OEM Crank
Blocked cleaned
Cylinder and crank Journals Honed
Deburr the casting marks on the head
Port and Polish the head, IM, FP EM, and turbo

Transmission Rebuild:
Oem Master rebuild kit w/ new clutches, steels and bands.
Translab shift kit
Torque Converter

Currently working on my CoP Set-up because I have a bad coil and I figured "Why not?"(will be a downgrade for now, but basically all stock for now)

I'm also unsure on what I want to do as far as ECU/Tuning. I've been looking at getting an EVO 8 ECU and wiring up a harness between the stock harness and the EVO ECU. BUT, the tuning for that is all raw data, SO I would have to find someone who knows how to opensource tune a car (using Tactrix Openport).

Then again there is the always faithful DSMLink, The only downside I see to Link is the fact that I have no idea how long it would take to get my ECU E-PROMed. I say this because ECMLink is CONSTANTLY back ordered on E-PROMs. Also With all the MAF cables and E-PROM Conv. I would be spending almost $800 on DSM Link, but wouldnt need a MAFT for the GM 3" MAF.

I am quite undecided on the tuning platform I want to run, so any suggestions would help greatly.

I believe that is it for now, on my next day off I will be throwing all of the new front suspension parts I have at the talon, so I will have an update w/ pics of that.

Alright, its been a while since my last post, mainly becuase funds have been tight and im tyring to save up and rent a house. But I have gotten a few things since I last posted.

I ran into the back of someone a few weeks back and have been buying new parts to fix everything.

2GB eclipse front bumper (aftermarket, looks like its good quality, havent mounted it yet though)
2GB eclipse headlights
OEM side brackets and supports with all grommets and bolts
Used upper FB support
OEM Upper support bolts

I still need to get a hood, fenders and upper and mid core supports.

I have also decided to go a different route as far as the motor goes. My goal is 550-600AWHP. And I will be doing an AWD and 5-speed swap.

Now, im sure this is gonna get a lot of heat... Yes I am 2gb eclipse swapping, I personally like the look of the eclipse more than the talon. And I want a manual car again, I miss slamming gears. Now, alot of you may say "Just go buy a 5 speed GSX" well, thats not much of an option for me. I dont have the funds to go out an buy another car, and I am not selling my car for cheap and then try to save up and meet the difference for the GSX, I can however save up for part by part and do it myself. I would also like to do everything myself as a learning experience.

I would like a bit of input for one thing. I dont know if I want to go with a 2.3 Stroker build, or drop in an EVO VIII/IX crank and build from there.

Nope, the blue is a cheap spray over that was done by one of the previous owners and it is flaking off all over. I will be sanding it down and putting a single stage coat all over and me any my buddy are going to vinyl wrap the car. Unless I change my mine, its going to be matte white with matte black top and hatch, and maybe the hood(dont wanna look like im trying to play off a CF hood).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back