The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

cv boot replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tstkl

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2005
SoCal, California
Ok, so I tore the cv boot on my 1990 eagle talon tsi awd. Passenger side front axle, inner cv boot. So I call mitsu to try and get a replacement, and they say, we need your vin number. GREAT, because since I own an EAGLE talon, they can't give me the #(*&(*&^%##($&(#&$ part number. They tell me, "you have to call the dodge dealership, and have them check for the part number using your vin, then call us back." so, being the retard I am, I try that. FAT lotta good that did, since the people at the local dodge dealership don't recognize eagle. So I go to about 4 kragens, and at each one Im told a different one has them in stock, and drive like a moron all around the bay. Finally I get to one and the guy tells me to try all the other ones I already tried, so I order one. "I'll call you when we get it, which should be on the 18th". fast forward to the 23rd, still no call, so I call them. Yeah, they've had it this whole time, I go pick it up, and its the WRONG boot. now I have to go return this, and ALL I WANT IS THE PART NUMBER.

can someone help me where caps failed misserably?

(lesson learned, if I don't know the part number, don't bother trying to get the part.)

I'll probably end up going through raxles

My suggestion during reading your post was to go thru raxles.com, but u got it.

If it were me, I'd head down to NAPA and drop $65 for a new cv shaft. In most cases, once the boot tears and you keep driving, dirt, rocks, and other road grime tend to build up inside the boost, causing excessive wear on the bearings. Replacing the boot and re-packing it with greese can pro-long the event of failure, but it will not "fix" the problem. And for only $65 for a new axle, you might as well just replace it. Just my .02 though.

call this mitsubishi dealer in L.A. (9517353500). i forgot the name of the dealership but thats the direct number to the parts department. no need for a vin number just tell them what you need. and if you tell them that you mod your dsm, theyll hook it up. i just bought my 1990 oil filter housing for 60 bucks today and mach v has it for like $82. ive purchased from them before, fast delivery, and they usually have everything in stock.. just call em, trust me

McQuay-Norris Inner CV Boot, Eagle Talon TSi AWD - Part Number 66-2941

If Kragen is anything like the Checker I work at, they should be able to get that. Have them do a PartsAmerica.com price-match for $14.99.

I almost always replace the whole axle. They aren't that expensive anymore and besides I don't like getting my nails dirty ;o)

Good Luck

yeah, I ripped the cv boot trying to rip the axle out of the tranny, Im not worried about the dirt that might have got in there, since Im going to clean it before I repack it with grease...

thanks for the 411 boxxy

I almost always replace the whole axle. They aren't that expensive anymore and besides I don't like getting my nails dirty ;o)

Good Luck

Same here, I paid around $70 for the whole axle, makes it alot easier :)

Depending on the boot, I "may" have the one you are looking for brand new. Will let you know, and let me know which one. Pay shipping and it is yours.
Mike

front passenger inner cv boot on a 1990 eagle talon tsi awd.

I will take a look and send pics this afternoon after work to make sure I am sending the right one.
Mike

If it were me, I'd head down to NAPA and drop $65 for a new cv shaft. In most cases, once the boot tears and you keep driving, dirt, rocks, and other road grime tend to build up inside the boost, causing excessive wear on the bearings. Replacing the boot and re-packing it with greese can pro-long the event of failure, but it will not "fix" the problem. And for only $65 for a new axle, you might as well just replace it. Just my .02 though.

After market replacements are known to be very weak compared to the oem green axles. It is very very very simple to rebuild an axle if you can get the needle bearings (or if yours are still in great shape) and have a set of snap ring pliers handy.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back