The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

custom headlights... FINALLY!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProjectAWDeagle

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 24, 2003
B.C.Canada
Hello,

I have got alot of good info from this site for my talon and I am very pleased with the way the talon has been going.. However, I noticed yesterday another upgrade. I have access to alot of machinery and tools. I think that I am going to take on a little custom job. I really like the 1G (90 to 91) but I think that it would look really sweet with the pop ups removed (like an RX-7) and the day time running lights replaced with a molded (painted) cover to replace the day time lights.

however, I can think of lots of obsticales and it wold be a lot of WORK. I think that it would give it a completely different look. I like it as well because I am currently debadging the car.

I need some help with what kind of headlights. I need a light that has its own reflecter and casing. Do you think that aftermarket fog lights would work?? Can they switch between High/low beams..

Since the car is a long term project, I am not worried about driving right away and that is why I am interested in this project.

I also want to say, that I was following the other "screw pop-ups" thread and the guy got alittle ahead of him self and got to selling them before he had made one. Thats not me. When I get it done, I will gauge how hard it is, and then decide on what to do. What I would really like to do is to make and design it, and then give it to someone to have it made in carbon fiber... I would want one free, but other then that, I wanna see it happen. :thumb:

I will gather some more knowledge and then start on it later this month. I am doing a complete brake and interior upgrade right now, so I am alittle strapped for time....

I would like to hear some suggestion and tips. I am by no means an expert in body work or lighting, just know alittle in a lot of different areas. :D :D :laugh:

Thank you, Michael

PS- I don't want to come across like I will have this done in 2 weeks, please don't PM or email repeatedly asking when it is done. When I start a project I get them done, but I want to know as much as possible before I start, usually makes for a cleaner finished project.

Dude this mod sounds really great. Are you talking having driving lights just set into the housing where the popups were? (sans 98+ NSX) If so, mad props, because that would be the coolest thing ever done exterior wise to a 1G if you ask me. good luck man, and keep us posted.

Dude this mod sounds really great. Are you talking having driving lights just set into the housing where the popups were? (sans 98+ NSX) If so, mad props, because that would be the coolest thing ever done exterior wise to a 1G if you ask me. good luck man, and keep us posted.

bryan_tberry, that is exactly what I am gonna do. But I am also going to take out the front "runner" lights and replace it with a painted on piece. I hope that it will look as good as an NSX or RX-7 :thumb:

I still need some advice on the lighting... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mike

that's a pretty awesome idea. kinda how i'd wanna do my 90 gsx, only i have no way of fabricating the lights. i was thinking there must be some kind of projector lights (like ferarris use and whatev) that could fit into the pop-up area. keep us posted on how your project comes along.

mount 2 driving lights on each side, 1 for low beam and 1 for high, just make sure you angle them accordingly. put clear lexan or plex in place where the top of the pop ups line up with the hood and have the driving lights below it pointing straight out. Then the headlights can shine out through the clear plex. it's some work but should turn out nice

There will be some issues with the law, maybe. At least, there would be here in the Land of Fruits and Nuts. And since all of us down here are thanking Canada for DRLs (although they got here just because GM was almost broke), I can only guess what the RCMP has to say about equipment violations.

That said, what about that year of (I think it was) Pontiac and Olds that had those really thin headlights, would they fit in the plexi section? Someone else was asking about them this week.

Of course, the best setup would be thin headlights in the grille, then a set of Mini-Oscars in the popups, running 130W bulbs in them..... you'd never hit a deer again, they'd just burst into flames.

i would def buy a set or 2 for both of my dsm's maybe you could try finding the size of our headlights with like the size of another cars like the 240sx and do something like an eastbear conversion or something like that and just modify that im not sure but good luck!

someone told me they where going to do theres i cant remember who it was though anyways. they said something about using the street glow driving/fog/parking light combo. I dont knoif he followed through with it or is going to. Something worth looking into i believe

i have considered making the front runner lights a head light assembly. and then taking out the weight of the popups and having the passenger side able to move up a little for a scoop. i think that would be kind of cool. i was thinkin about using a mid 90s cutlass supreme headlights(really thin lights) and molding them to the front running lights. i am going to try to find someone to help me with it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back