The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Spyder Cruise Control stopped working

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hortanica

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 22, 2010
Gasport, New_York
First off: This is in my swapped car (auto 4g64 spyder > 5 speed 4g63t AWD w/ Evo8 ecu)

Problem: Cruise control worked for about a week after i got the car back on the road, but it was working really weird - like once in a while it would go with no problem, other times it would work and then turn itself off randomly (could be 1/4 mile or 50 miles after turning it on), and other times the cruise light would flash on for a second or two and then go off.

Wiring:

I wired the park/neutral wires to a switch in the car. This should (and does) allow me to start the car without pushing in the clutch, and allow the cruise to function.

There is no clutch switch wired in to the ecu or the cruise box

What ive done:

Ive tried a different cruise ECU, ive tried different cruise vacuum pumps, ive unplugged the brake light switch which should make it so, technically, there are no 'cut off/disable' switches to the cruise ECU.

any help? does anyone know of a way for me to 'hardwire'' the cruise ecu to try and see what that does?

where would the vacuum leak be? the cruise control has its own vacuum pump...but if thats what you mean - then when i inspected the lines they all appeared to be in good shape with no cracking

Yeah, that's what I meant, My line was cracked causing my cruise control to not work when I first got my car. Figured that'd be the easiest thing for you to check.

I'm really not sure what would cause it to randomly cut off like that though, unless your brake light switch is going out.

Last edited:
just delete it it looks like shit under the hood anyways

Unfortunately, as bad as it looks....i use it all the time. Im a 15 mile drive drive from a wal mart....and 6 from a gas station - and thats just the basic stuff. i put an average of 20k a year on my summer car, i need cruise - if nothing more then to help me get better gas mileage....

Strateger said:
Did you check all the wiring for breaks or cracks in the insolation? Maybe you have a short somewhere? Fuses? Here's a post that helped me get my cruise working right, maybe it'll help you too.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/main...ble-setup.html

I have not seen that thread - but i am going through it now. thank you very much for the link!

well - i think ive got it narrowed down to 4 possible wires:

First - After doing the test in the thread you linked to, the pump works as its supposed to...the throttle body cable moves the required length, and it holds it without problems.

Second - i read a thread saying that it could be a grounding/problem with the left blinker bulbs, so i disconnected them completely and i got the same results (cruise light goes on for a second and turns off)

What i found out today: The cruise ECU is getting a good VSS signal, the brake switch is working properly, the clutch switch not being there isnt a problem, and my park/neutral switch for starting the car is fine.

If i accelerate to 60 and set the cruise, the light goes on for a second and back off. If i then push the stalk up to resume the speed, the light does the same thing - goes on for a second then back off.

Now, if i set the cruise at 40, let it blink on and off, then accelerate to 60 and push the stalk to resume - the cruise light stays on until the car slows down to 40 and then the light goes off. If i do the same thing again, and push the brake pedal while its decelerating, the cruise light goes off. Same with my park/neutral switch.

So- what this tells me is the Cruise ECU is doing its thing - but the pump isnt able to be controlled. The ecu is able to set the speed, its able to resume and it stays on/turns off exacty as its supposed to but the actuator doesnt do anything.

Now to trace the 4 wires off of the cruise actuator plug and trace them inside the car and find the short!

Edit: One more thing, after looking at the electrical manual - connector b-82 in this pic is a dedicated fuse for the cruise control system - but what i cant find (besides the fuse itself...) is if the fuse is blown - if it stops the cruise system from turning on, or if its a fuse for the vacuum pump control as it passes through the firewall. Anyone else know? (either what the fuse controls or where it is)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Mine went out for awhile after I did some wiring awhile back, I never could figure it out until i lost something under the drivers seat and was digging under there when I found a small white connector disconnected. I think it had 2 wires its been awhile. Anyway I plugged it in and back came by cruise. By the way it would not work at all and the dash switch wouldn't even light up when it was "broken"

SouleZZ: I wish my lights werent coming on - because i feel that would make it that much easier to diagnose LOL. but everythign works fine except the vacuum pump.

smprende10: Do you know what fuse is the CC fuse on the 2g's? from the diagrams ive read - its tied in with the radio fuse, and then that one under the dash that i cant find.

On that - i didnt get a chance to mess with it today. but tomorrow i will, hopefully finish diagnosing this problem.

so i know this post is old but i figured id put the resolution in here in case someone else has the same problem as me.

im gonna bump this, but did you ever play with the cruise control and try to get it working? i took mine out because it wasnt working right and while i was doing a few other things i used the space, but now that spring is coming and road trips are coming - i want to put it back in.

Edit: IT WORKS!
whe3ls said:
in the auto the cc ecu controls od, od light and od switch.

After reading that - it made me think (realize?) that the cruise control is wired to work with the auto ecu, and not stand alone. So when i unplugged the auto TCU - i broke the connection from the cruise control cu and the vacuum pump/actuator.

SO i just went out side, plugged it back in - bolted the actuator back on (which i forgot to put in the garage and pulled out from under a foot of snow LOL) and without any problems at all - i have cruise again.

Now - while i would assume this would be true for all 4g6x based cars - this was in a 98 spyder 4g64 auto with a GSX/Manual swap. I also wired in a momentary switch from the starter relay in the car to a spot under the dash that i have to push each time i start the car (im ok with it - since its a spyder and my luck is garbage). Oh- im also on an Evo8 ecu and after ~5 miles of driving - i got no CEL

Just a question I am about to try to get my cruise to work on my awd manual swap on my auto spyder gst. How many switches did you use to make it work? Did you only use the two wires for the neutral jump and intercept them with a switch? Or did you also put a second switch else where and if so to which wires? I am planing on using a relay off the clutch pedal to actuate my cruise control I am curious how you set yours up.

Awesome, i might be able to actually help someone LOL.

I went to radio shack and bought a small, black momentary push button switch thats normally open.

I wired it into the relay according to this:
2. If you don't want to run wires thru the firewall, then you can run them from the starter relay, which is located under/behind the radio in the dash.

It was the relay on the left in my car but my Chilton's manual shows it on the right, so go by the wire colors to be sure. It'll have a thicker black w/yellow wire, 2 thicker black w/red wires, and a thinner black w/red wire.

Cut that thinner black w/red wire and extend both sides over to the switch on top of the clutch.

The only difference is instead of running them to the top of the clutch switch, i ran the side of the wire from that connected to the relay and soldered it to the one side of the switch, and then soldered the other pin on the switch to a wire that i grounded. I also DID NOT DO ANYTHING with the plug in the engine bay. i left it as is. now - you could also hook the same switch up to the wires you shorted out under the hood and run it though the firewall, which i did at first, but this way its one less thing passing though it.

I put the switch in the little gray 'panel' that is removable under the steering wheel on the left side. In the next couple of days im going to probably make a new tutorial to have all of this information in it as right now, its available - but its so scattered that it took me 6 months to find it...

let me know if you have any other questions/problems getting it to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
So you do not have the jumper in the bay for the neutral? Do you have to push the switch to start your car? This allows the cruise to work?

Right. If you hook up that switch, you dont need to jump the neutral switch under the hood, and yes this allows the cruise to work. The switch you wire up in the cabin is shorting out the switch under the hood essentially.

I have to push the button EVERY time i start the car - but again, for me im ok with it. then i know someone isnt gonna be able to easily steal/start my car.

You could wire it into the clutch switch, and just have one side go to ground - but i liked my push button so i didnt have to push the clutch down and give my car one more reason to start crankwalking LOL.

ive now driven about 200 miles,using cruise for ~180 of those miles haha, i missed it so much.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back