The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Cruise Control- Relocate? Remove?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourgsixthree33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2010
Athens, Pennsylvania
I have done a good bit of searching but no answers. I have the engine out of my 93 TSi AWD and have been trying to clean up the engine bay while waiting for some parts.

I realized how much space the damn cruise control box takes up. It's ridiculous! I don't want to buy a non cruise control cable yet because well...I don't have the money.

I was wondering if I could relocate the box somewhere or if I can get rid of it without buying a non cruise cable?

I have done a good bit of searching but no answers. I have the engine out of my 93 TSi AWD and have been trying to clean up the engine bay while waiting for some parts.

I realized how much space the damn cruise control box takes up. It's ridiculous! I don't want to buy a non cruise control cable yet because well...I don't have the money.

I was wondering if I could relocate the box somewhere or if I can get rid of it without buying a non cruise cable?

I removed mine with a non cruise control cable cleaned up alot of space under the hood. I've heard u can rig the stock cable one to work but i dunno about that. After removing mine i never looked back.:thumb:

I have too read about people rigging up their existing cruise control cable for use after removing the cruise control. Just nobody felt like sharing how they did it I guess LOL. No matter how much stuff you remove/relocate in the engine bay, it still looks like ass with that natsty cruise control box there.

I removed mine and got a non cruise cable, try a junk yard.

I am assuming a non cruise cable from a 1.8L will work?

Let me know if you guys have either relocated it out of site or has seen it before. I would be ok with just moving it where you can't see it. I just can't think of anywhere that it would fit.

Well.
I don't know about a 1g Cruise Control But, in my 2g, I relocated at the back of the engine wright behind the starter.
I did some modifications to the bracket, But nothing crazy.
I relocate just the bracket where the cable get together at the back of the starter, and I run a longer cable all the way to the inside of the car where I install the rest (vacuum pump and vacuum battle or how ever you call it).

Here is a pic of how it is hooked up.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

And here is how it looks like.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Even being a 2g, I hope it helps, or at least give you an Idea of how to relocate it.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I twist the Cable bracket, at the firewall, It was facing to the passenger side, so I just twisted to face down to the crossmember, so it can reach and have a little of play for the engine movement.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you absolutely cannot afford a non-cruise cable, you can cut the throttle cable about 4" from the TB, cut the throttle cable going TO the CC module, strip about 8" of the sheath around the cable, run it through the guide that is attached to the IM, and use a commercial fishing wire clamp to connect them, after you take up the right amount of slack.
The fishing line clamp is literally a zinc tube about 1/2" long, oval shaped just big enough to slide each end of the cable through, then you clamp the crap out of it with a pair of pliers, just like a wire splice. Works so well I haven't bothered to put on the non-cruise cable I have sitting around.

If you absolutely cannot afford a non-cruise cable, you can cut the throttle cable about 4" from the TB, cut the throttle cable going TO the CC module, strip about 8" of the sheath around the cable, run it through the guide that is attached to the IM, and use a commercial fishing wire clamp to connect them, after you take up the right amount of slack.
The fishing line clamp is literally a zinc tube about 1/2" long, oval shaped just big enough to slide each end of the cable through, then you clamp the crap out of it with a pair of pliers, just like a wire splice. Works so well I haven't bothered to put on the non-cruise cable I have sitting around.

^You can always do this method, its called the fun way!;) But i got my non cruise control cable for $40 was well worth it, you can probably find it cheap if you look around.

I got mine for 30. Question...is the non cruise cable like super long for what it needs to do? I installed it and tucked it away, but it seems way longer than it needs to be.

yes, the non cruise cables are longer than needed, but that is partially to keep from having any kinks form from too tight of a bend.

I just took my cruise control off. In mine it was a separate cable that just needed to be disconnected and then I just unbolted the Cruise Control. It helped because the Cruise Control cable was getting stuck and messing up my idle.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back