The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Crankshaft Seized to Bearings...engine worth buying for $500?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00stedeclipse

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 4, 2002
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
A friend of mine has a 1997 420a engine with approx. 50,000 miles and his crankshaft has seized to the bearings. He went ahead and bought another complete motor and has this one lying around. I in turn have a 95 GS which uses the same motor, obviously. I am turboing my GS, which currently has 87,000 miles on it. I don't think his engine will require much repair and was wondering if anyone thinks $500 is a good deal because this would be ideal for me to build this motor up while still driving my car. Please don't remove this thread I'm just looking for an honest opinion on whether its worth buying or not figuring people in this section would know whats involved in replacing the crankshaft and bearings and whether or not that would be all that needs replaced. Thanks for the space and I'll let ya'll know about the progress on my 420a build-up.. :)

500 bones is on the high side for that engine in good order, let alone in the condition it in. it could be an easy fix or you could need to buy a crank/have yours machined if it's bad enough.

either way i'd say 200-300 TOPS for buying a broken motor, oyu never know how bad it is until you get it home and crack it open

there's too much involved in the 4g63 swap or else i would have done that in a heartbeat. this is just me wanting an engine with less mileage and in better condition so when i turbo it theres less of a chance of things wearing out or breaking..but i appreciate the feedback. - Brett

for $500 you should be able to get a nice running one from a yard...i'd pass on it :dsm:

I have a bottom end here for a 420A its locked up , good for a rebuild . anyways its taking up space , how about a trade for that intake pipe/mas you have or something ? you can come by and look at it to if you want. your not too far away. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back