1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

cranks scraper and windage tray. how to install?

Posted by kongo, Aug 3, 2011

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. kongo

kongo Proven Member

Joined Jan 8, 2009
    new orleans, Louisiana
    Found something I will need. Crank:rocks::rocks: scraper and windage tray. An want to know if it install between block and oil pan? Or do I have to open my block again? An what's better felon or steel? Thank glowryder

387  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse N/T
    · 2G DSM
  2. glowryder

glowryder Proven Member

Joined Jan 23, 2004
    des moines, Iowa
    Come on man , do some searching LOL. crank scrapers.com / ishahara-jhonson make/SELL them. the lead time is about 4 weeks.

Get steel. Get the scraper, baffle and windage tray. Teflon (IMO) is a waste, by the time your done shaving it there isnt much left. This part gets sandwiched between block and oil pan. think of it as your new oil pan gasket. Youll have to drop your exhaust, cross member, and the engine/trans support brackets to get the pan off.

It will come with instructions.:thumb:

3. Fotowntalon

Fotowntalon Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Not true, although it will make the job a hell of a lot easier.

Also you can buy them at 2GNT from a DSMer at this link 2GNT.com Forums - Viewing topic - FS: 420a Crank Scrapers - $35 Shipped
    Although I think the ishahara one looks like it may be a tad more functional (plate for plate) the one I linked is about half the price. So really up to you.

4. glowryder

glowryder Proven Member

Joined Jan 23, 2004
    des moines, Iowa
    he will be auto crossing, so he NEEDS the tray and trap doors, which means the pan has to come off, as well as the other parts i mentioned to fit it correctly.. the scraper , correct you dont need to drop all that stuff.. but OP should get the 2 teir part. Id hate for him to spin a bearing b/c he just got a crank scraper which doesn't help with oil control.

and thats misleading
    "Helps avoid oil starvation by keeping the oil in the pan during hard braking and turning as well as during off-road driving"

its a scraper.. it does no such thing.. ^
    thats what the windage tray and trap doors are for..

5. kongo

kongo Proven Member

Joined Jan 8, 2009
    new orleans, Louisiana
    Well I'm ordering the setup from crank-scrapes.com. the pic for crank scraper showed bolts in the blocks base, I don't remember bolt holes in the bottom of block. It's been 3 yrs so I may be wrong.

387  0

· 2G DSM
  6. glowryder

glowryder Proven Member

Joined Jan 23, 2004
    des moines, Iowa
  7. kongo

kongo Proven Member

Joined Jan 8, 2009
    new orleans, Louisiana
    [​IMG] is what I seen, but I got it.

387  0

· 2G DSM
  8. Fotowntalon

Fotowntalon Proven Member

Joined May 14, 2008
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Yeah I would agree, the two tier system is diffidently a must for autocrossing

9. david-b

david-b Proven Member

Joined Aug 15, 2005
    Chicago, Illinois
    I had the crank scrapper on my 420a. No baffles though. Never had any issue with it besides some leaking issues when first installed. Gasket fail. There's no 'noticable gains' from it, but can't do any bad.

Still have the scrapper too if you're intereseted. PM me.

10. Kevin Johnson

Kevin Johnson Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    http://forums.2gnt.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=16&topic_id=119148&mode=full

Hi,

I made the pattern that was copied. I guess I can not get too upset because that is how some people get through life and then offer a religious blessing as well. Wow.

It is hard to count how many generations of design have followed this. I am one of those strange people that continually tries to make the product better. It is not just talk, I have thousands of designs for hundreds of motors to back it up.

About four years ago I did a 420a scraper for a 2.2 Callies crank. Three times I redid the pattern for the customer. Conservatively, thousands of dollars worth of my time. It was a one-off (no other sales of the pattern during that interim).

I spoke with someone today interested in the Callies pattern but they did not not want to spend all that money on the Teflon pattern that was developed ($179.95). I told him that to redesign the pattern for a steel scraper would cost me more in time than I was charging. I already know how limited the market is.

So, I will toss out a challenge. Instead of simply copying a design, violating copyright laws with my advertising, etc. why doesn't this manufacturer make the effort to develop JUST ONE design on their own and adjust the product to fit the Callies 2.2 crank which they can then offer for $35.00 shipped.

I have been asked many times to copy people's products -- I made an exception. I copied Studebakers Type R windage tray because it had been out of production for decades. And then I improved it. And then I made the first improved one at no charge for an Avanti Bonneville team along with a custom scraper.

So, step up. Make some effort. Don't go through life as a parasite.

Edit: As someone that does believe in God, I dislike it when people profit from deliberately evil acts.

http://www.crank-scrapers.com/PUBLIC 420A PATTERN.DXF

Here is a dxf file of a more advanced 420a pattern. It has drain holes and reliefs for main studs. You can take this file to any metal working jobshop and have them cut it out for you. Use 14g steel (~2mm or .080" thickness). Good luck with your engine projects.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014