The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Crank Endplay Limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

97egl

Proven Member
Feb 6, 2014
Brownsburg, Indiana
What is the most endplay a 1g 7bolt crank can have before it is too bad to use again? I bought a used engine and am wanting to use the crank out of it. It has .010 endplay. Spec says .002-.007 but not sure if that for on a new engine

Here's the long story.

I built a 7 bolt N/A engine for enduro racing. (Enduro= 300 Laps on 3/8 asphalt or dirt track with 100+ cars.)
I did all new seals and gaskets, head studs, as well as Race Main and Rod bearings. I also did the balance shaft removal. Ran 15w-40 diesel oil which is pretty standard to do as the oil thins out when the engine temp is staying around 210

I made 24 laps and the #4 rod bearing spun so bad it locked the motor up. So I need a new crankshaft and I couldn't find one for a decent price so I just ended up buying a whole engine for the crank.

Thanks for any help/advise

What is the most endplay a 1g 7bolt crank can have before it is too bad to use again? I bought a used engine and am wanting to use the crank out of it. It has .010 endplay. Spec says .002-.007 but not sure if that for on a new engine

Here's the long story.

I built a 7 bolt N/A engine for enduro racing. (Enduro= 300 Laps on 3/8 asphalt or dirt track with 100+ cars.)
I did all new seals and gaskets, head studs, as well as Race Main and Rod bearings. I also did the balance shaft removal. Ran 15w-40 diesel oil which is pretty standard to do as the oil thins out when the engine temp is staying around 210

I made 24 laps and the #4 rod bearing spun so bad it locked the motor up. So I need a new crankshaft and I couldn't find one for a decent price so I just ended up buying a whole engine for the crank.

Thanks for any help/advise
A spec is a spec. It isn't mileage or age dependent.. .010 is. 003 out. That's almost more than the total range.

..... the crank out of it. It has .010 endplay. Spec says .002-.007

that is the specs for a 6 bolt.

Here are the specs for a 7 bolt
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Thats a releif that its still within spec. Sorry for the ignorance about it being out of spec. I guess my hope was that if it wasn't too far out that i would be able to replace the bearings and bring it back spec and be ok. But since its in spec i guess new bearings will only help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back