The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

7 bolt crankshaft hp limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have also been questioning this as I'd like to stick with my stock crankshaft but push it close to the limit. Everything I've read indicates that the 450whp is about the limit though there are a few people that has pushed it up to 600whp. There isn't a lot of direct information that I've found but just adding everything up, 450whp could well be the sweet spot for the stock crank.

I'm still learning things though and have no real world experience with it. I hope someone is able to come in with specific numbers though.

I am sure you can go 800-1000hp range or maybe more.
It would be very depending on circumstances. Such as condition of crank, tuning, quality for assembly, rpm, rod ratio, the weight that gives stresses to journals such as steel rod or aluminum rod and piston weight, etc etc.
To get more infos, should search EVO forums, too. EVO 1-9 have a 7 bolt crank. EVO 1-4 crank is the same as 2g. If use an EVO crank, go with EVO 5-9 crank, it is a little bit better.

I believe most of the claimed 400-450 whp limits were for stock OEm motors. The connecting rods were the sited 2G issue limiting hosepower with stock bottom ends. The max limit is much higher with built internals.

OEM 88mm cranks are used into the 4-digit power range, I can guarantee it's not the weak link of your setup. The 100mm crank isn't as strong, but the stock 88 will take you as far as you want to go, as long as the rest of the setup allows it.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back