The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

cooling issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcjjones

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
Austin, Texas
I own a gvr4 and have recently installed a scirricco radiator do to also installing a front mount that wont clear the factory radiator.

I have one 12" cooling fan pulling air on the radiator and one 10" fan pushing air on the condenser. Yes I still have and am keeping the a/c. Both fans are from oreillys and are rated at 750 and 600 cfm I believe.

Now I basically have made both "work" so there is no returning them. I looked and some perma-cool fans in the same size and the are rated much higher.

The add on jegs.com states the flow/push 2000+ cfm.

Seems way too high...so my questions are shoulf I suck it up and cut my losses and just buy a couple of the perma-cool fans? Or should I buy another 10" fan from oreillys and put it on the other side of the condenser as there is room which there isnt on the raditor. The scirricco radiator is too small to fit 2 12" or even 2 10" fans.

Basically i need to know, from those who have used them, if the perma-cool fans really flow thst much more air then the oreillys fans?

So what's your real issue how quick is it overheating? And orileys fans suck dude they probably don't push crap and no where near there rating! Did you burp the cooling system properly? What mix of coolant are you using? Do you have any ducting for your setup? Is everything lined up the best possible way to get the most flow possible thru the fmic, a/c, radiator?

That is way less than what the stock fans flow.

What do the stock fans flow?? The car never really overheats, it just gets hot. As in it usually will get up to about the second mark on the stock gauge. Its been around 105 degrees here so coupled with the smaller radiator and the crappier fans it gets warm.

As for burping, ducting, and mounting...I did burp the system, I used 25% coolant and 75% water. I also have a bottle of water wetter but I haven't used it because I don't want to waste it. There is not ducting but on a GVR4 I don't really see a way to make any? And yea everything mounted the best way possible.

Im probably just going to have to get some better fans. I'll just have to run with no hood until then!

Does anyone know if those fans really blow/pull that much air? Or any fans that yall recommend? I was going to try the two 8" perma-cool fans rated at 2000+ cfm on the radiator and one 10" perma-cool on the condenser. Only problem I see with running the two 8" ones as opposed to one single 12" is one of the 8" ones will be right in front of the manifold! How bad is that for those little motors?

The stock fans are in the neighborhood of 1600CFM at high speed. But what's important is that they use a shrouded housing, which makes a huge difference in actual airflow through the radiator. Most aftermarket fans mount flush with little or no shrouds.

However, your issue is likely from lack of airflow to the radiator. Air has to go through the FMIC, then the AC condenser, and then the radiator. Adding a bunch of fans will only add more resistance. I'd get some really good fans (preferably stock) and try adding some ducting to force air through all the cores.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back