1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Cool little mod for MT guys that launch on inclines.

Posted by the_mork, Sep 21, 2009

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI
  1. the_mork

the_mork Moderator

Joined Mar 10, 2008
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    I found this mod on a Jeep forum and it looks super cool for manual transmission guys that launch on inclines such as autocrossers, road racers, or where things aren't perfectly flat. To save you from following a link if you aren't interested it is a way to fit a Subaru line lock either to the clutch pedal or to a line on the dash to make a super cheap line lock.

3 cool junkyard mods for $20 or less.

It is the middle mod in the first post though some might be interested in the first mod as well (decent looking hood louvering).

Hopefully someone finds this interesting.

3K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    automatic · 2G DSM
  2. Defiant

Defiant DSM Wiseman

Joined Jan 13, 2003
    glorious Galt, California
    Be aware that trying to plumb this in to an ABS system may lead to several kinds of hell.

3K  0

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  3. red_devil

red_devil Proven Member

Joined Jul 13, 2005
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Or people can just learn to balance the clutch on a hill. The hill holders I found were annoying especially when not on an incline. Cool idea though using a handle and not the clutch.

2K  9

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    manual · 2G DSM
  4. solidviper89

solidviper89 Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2008
    Palmview/San An, Texas
    Idk if its bad but I use my hand brake. I engage the brake so it moves back a bit but stays put. I put car in gear and then slip out the clutch till the car want to move forward then just let brake out. Works every time.

I only Do this when a car is very close to me, or the hill is steep.

5. Rob10_99

Rob10_99 Proven Member

Joined May 22, 2005
    Ptown, Arizona
    That looks like a severe gaggle. Just hold the ebrake until your slipping then drive on, if you can't do that you should learn how to.

1K  0

1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    29.320 @ 55.000 · 2G DSM
  6. rush2252

rush2252 Proven Member

Joined Apr 14, 2009
    Blanchard, Oklahoma
    DSM braking system with no modifications = Pain to work on. DSM braking system + salvage yard parts + shadetree rigging = epic fail

701  0

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    · 2G DSM
  7. turbo90gsx

turbo90gsx Proven Member

Joined Feb 12, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Agreed on using the hand brake. Also works good for pre-loading the drivetrain at the strip.

663  0

1990 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    10.780 @ 131.380 · 1G DSM
  8. the_mork

the_mork Moderator

Joined Mar 10, 2008
    Eau Claire, Wisconsin
    Just thought it would be useful for the sort of people looking for a line-lock anyway. It is certainly useful for Jeepers since we deal with angles and obstacles where just locking the rear brakes isn't sufficient and messing up the footwork leads to sliding all the way back down the hill in a very uncontrolled manner.

3K  0

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    automatic · 2G DSM
  9. 1qkfwd

1qkfwd DSM Wiseman

Joined Sep 16, 2005
    Sun Valley, Nevada
    If you use this in conjunction with the ebrake this makes a great mod for the auto guys. I'm gettin ready to switch to auto and this would be a nice way to hold the car so you can get up on the convertor. This could also help out as stated above when preloadin some twin discs.

2K  0

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    10.677 @ 128.100 · 1G DSM