The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Concerned after driving through a large puddle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D1STURBED

Probationary Member
Aug 10, 2013
London, ON_Canada
Hey guys, last night their was a big rain storm in my town, I was driving home from work and had too drive threw a huge puddle.. almost like a small lake, their was no way too avoid it. My whole front end pretty was was underwater.. I pulled over after I went threw it and popped the hood and the engine and everything was dry, im a little worried about water getting in the Intercooler, its just the stock one on the front of the bumper, Should I be worried or not ? thanks, also what are the signs if water got into the intake?

Last edited by a moderator:
First your stock intercooler is in the fender well.
Second if it is in your bumper I am pretty sure it is aftermarket.
If you mean your radiator, or your a/c then you're fine.
If you meant your aftermarket intercooler that is in the front bumper I would assume youre fine.
If your car ran fine before running in the puddle then I would be confident in saying that you had no boost leaks and therefor no open areas along the couplers for water to get in there.
I would say you're fine. But if you are paranoid, take off the intercooler, check it out.
But a little water isnt going to hurt you even if you did somehow suck some up.

You should be fine unless the car died after you drove through the water. Also, it would be very difficult to get water into the intercooler because it would have to pass through the turbo and you would know it if that happened. The best way to check if you really want to is to remove it and check

if the car is driving fine after going through the water then nothing to worry about. usually if the engine sucks in water..you'd know right after going through that somethings gone wrong.

Should be fine, everything should be air/water tight only worries should be if it somehow got into the air intake/ turbo inlet

Easy way to put it, if it is still running after going through such a puddle, it will probably be alright

Should be fine, everything should be air/water tight only worries should be if it somehow got into the air intake/ turbo inlet

agreed unless you had a massive hole somewhere but at that point you wouldn't be driving anyways you should be fine

the only real danger i would worry about is cracking the exhaust mani or turbo housing if they were really hot

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back