The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Compare 99 gst and 09 gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimerPLus

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2011
Tokyo, Asia
Hi I am thinking about getting an Eclipse soon. I have always been interested in the 99 gst / gsx but while I was looking around I also realized that I like the look of the 09 eclipse.

I am interested in what you guys have to say about the 2.

I realize the 99 will be cheaper than the 09.

I am interested in performance, customization, dependability.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

You do know your posting on DSM tuners right? Home of basically the 1g and 2g eclipse, talon, laser? We should all say 99 Eclipse haha.

Hi I am thinking about getting an Eclipse soon. I have always been interested in the 99 gst / gsx but while I was looking around I also realized that I like the look of the 09 eclipse.

I am interested in what you guys have to say about the 2.

I realize the 99 will be cheaper than the 09.

I am interested in performance, customization, dependability.

Thanks for taking time to reply.

Just a quick FYI....

The 99 and 09 Eclipse are vastly different cars with two different motors.

The newer models (we call them 4G for 4th generation) are much more refined and better suited as a weekend boulevard cruiser or sporty daily driver. Most members on this site have no interest in these newer Eclipses.

The 99 Eclipses (2G for 2nd generation) were marketed as sport coupes as well, but were much more performance oriented. They came with a turbocharger and all-wheel-drive from the factory. They are a great bang for your buck and will run rings around the newer Eclipse. Be cautious when buying one though, most have been horribly abused and not cared for properly.

Despite that these two cars share a name, they really have very little in common. If you have questions about the 2g, we're the ones to ask. Otherwise, check out the 4g Eclipse site.

GL with your search :thumb:

If you like being a ricer get the newer one.

If you like to work on a car, then get the old one

I did NOT like this reply... was more insulting than it was informative or helpful IMO

DSMs have lots of potential, have lots of aftermarket support, and come turbo, and some even awd from the factory.

the newer ones are very reliable from what I have read, but you'll want the GT version not the GS version. the GS version is very sluggish and has had complaints on it's reviews. however the gas mileage is not good, its just regular. any GT after 07 only comes in automatic, not 6 speed manual. and the 4g doesn't have much aftermarket support. they've been turbocharged, twinturbocharge, and more commonly supercharged, but so far the most HP on the stock block has been about 375HP ish. piston #3 gives out after so much PSI and horspower.

You know, I actually like the 4G... But after reading that 4g site, I would never buy one. Seem like a bunch of retards.

That's because most of them aren't real car guys. They don't bust their knuckles on the block or modify their motors beyond a K&N, or really do anything besides put gas in it and take it to the dealership for maintenance.

You know, I actually like the 4G... But after reading that 4g site, I would never buy one. Seem like a bunch of retards.

yeah, I really like the look of the 4g too. BUT your right about the 4g forum, they're filled with a lot of ricers. not all of them are ricers!! but for the most part the members are more into throwing body kits and stuff like that on it than performance. especially the GSs that put like $4,000 into cosmetics, but pop the hood and all you see is stockness... but its THEIR car so I should respect their vesion and what they want to do with it.

That's because most of them aren't real car guys. They don't bust their knuckles on the block or modify their motors beyond a K&N, or really do anything besides put gas in it and take it to the dealership for maintenance.

do you think a hardcore knuckle to block member from here with one of those cars would do much to it? LOL :aha:

the 4g is just not a car worth putting money into. I'd like to having one, but it would strictly be a DD. not something to try and turbo or SC....

Well it has to be a sort of personality in the person that buys one. For example. Someone said something about, *what would you do with a 4g*do you think a hardcore knuckle to block member from here with one of those cars would do much to it? LOL

the 4g is just not a car worth putting money into. I'd like to having one, but it would strictly be a DD. not something to try and turbo or SC....

I had a hyundai accent 2002 with a 1.5L ;).

Intake, 4-2-1 Header, Full 2 1/4 exhaust, Cat delete, resonator delete, PS delete, 02 delete, NO interior except shifter and dash no air bags door trim speakers radio, Coolant bypass, MAF @ TB, removed any kind of engine plastic.

I could beat most v6 cars I raced, and 4 cyl cars. I ALMOST beat a 5.0 Mustang. He pulled away around 70.

It has to be a personality thing, HAS TO BE.

As far as turbo, I had a T-15 manifold in my basement all the coolant lines and oil lines, just needed a garrett t-25-28 to throw on and Id be rockn boost in my hyundai.

Point is if you like wrenching and performance, you would squeeze all you could out of a geo 3 cyl if its all you had.

nope the majority of their owners wernt looking for the fastest car.... when reading the reviews, it actually won some of the buyers over from the 350Z cause it had 4 seats, more room, and cheaper. and the spyder version, again for having more room than the 350z, and for being one of the more powerful, cheaper, and better looking spyders/convertables.

all said and done it just comes down to what the buyer wants and what the car is meant for :thumb:

The 4g is a car for the kind of guy that gets excited over matching his belt to his shoes...

The 2g is a car for the kind of guy that gets excited over matching his blow off valve to his cam gears.

The 4g is a car for the kind of guy that gets excited over matching his belt to his shoes...

The 2g is a car for the kind of guy that gets excited over matching his blow off valve to his cam gears.

Matching your cams to your Turbo would make more sense.

all said and done it just comes down to what the buyer wants and what the car is meant for

I agree with this. Mitsubishi marketed both generations of Eclipses to different buyers. I think 2gs were targeted for the just out of college 20 to 30 year old crowd, whereas the 4g is more for the 35 to 50 year old buyer.
The styling, the performance, and MSRP, the ads, all the way down to the names of the paint colors. Everything is targeted to a specific customer base.

The 4g is a car for the kind of guy that gets excited over matching his belt to his shoes.

That's funny.

Point is if you like wrenching and performance, you would squeeze all you could out of a geo 3 cyl if its all you had.

It comes down to customer base and what people want. I love a car that goes fast, but I have an 82 hp Mazda and couldn't care how fast it goes. It's my DD and I don't need it to go faster.
My Dodge Caravan and Honda Pilot are slugs, but I don't care. Not every car has to go fast just because you love performance :thumb:

2g has much more to offer with performance and anything aftermarket. Mainly because it comes factory with a turbo and takes very litttle to up the hp, also f&f added to the popularity. 4gs imo are just regular sporty cars, nothing special being brought to the table with it.

well i own a 06 gt and a 99 gsx. there is way more power to be had in the 99 gsx or gst for a lot les money. the 09 gt can be super charged and th gs can be super or turbo charged. but you can get a bigger turbo kit for less money and more power. i guess what i am saying is if you want to go fast 99.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back