The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

CO: saving a 95 tsi, high hp build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scoobystyl

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Ill start with this is my first dsm, i bought it from a guy local to me after seeing it on craigslist, in the ad it said it wasnt running and was pretty beat up, but also had alot of pretty expensive parts on it so i figured what the hell ill take a look, and im glad i did, it was the perfect starting point for what i wanted. Built 6 bolt, shep stage 4 tranny and a 4bolt rear end, after talking to him for a while i decided id make an offer and threw out $1000, but declined and said 1200, and figured what the hell i cant lose for that price, i signed all the paperwork and went on my way and told him id pick it up later, after reading on why a car wouldnt start after doing a 6 bolt swap i decided to go back swap the plug wires and it fired right up, so i drove it to my friends shop where it sat for a couple weeks.

Youll have to excuse my lack of pictures i never even thought of making a build thread

To start off when i bought it and moved it to my house
IMG_0277.jpg

The extent of the damages
IMG_0299.jpg

Wiring mess
IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

The first thing i wanted to do was get it running right so i did all maintance on it, fixed all the wiring, and installed a new front mount as the one that was there was very small and the piping was made from crush bent exhaust piping, the vrsf was supposed to be a bolt on affair but naturally in my case it wasnt
IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0300-1.jpg

IMG_0311.jpg

At this point it was running pretty good id bought alot of other stuff, and figured it was time to ditch these
IMG_0351.jpg

Then i bought some fic1550's and ecmlink v3 ,which i was told was full when i bought it, but turned out it was lite, the seller was told it was full, i was told it was full, one way or another i was lied to

Then started all of the body work, first i went to the junk yard and cut out a rear quarter panel and took a door, thats when the fun started i took alot of time measuring and marking til i figured out the best place to cut and weld
IMG_0312-1.jpg

Once that was all welded in where i liked it the sanding started, i dont have any pictures of this because it SUCKS, my compressor isnt big enough to run a da for more than a couple minutes so i bought an electric one which worked better than the air sander in my case, but still was awful.
When sanding was done it was time to set up a "paint booth" and start priming
IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

Looking at the paint booth from inside the garage
IMG_0354.jpg

At this point i was really tired of sanding, as i had just sanded 4 coats of primer while trying to get the body as straight as possible and decided id start piddling with other things, so i shaved my valve cover and removed the yellow powder coating
IMG_0361.jpg

I dont have any pictures of me painting it but i use a chameleon paint and mix in more blue so it turns the paint more a metallic purple rather than blue and then its red when the sun hits it

Got everything painted other than the bumpers, hood and sideskirts
IMG_0367.jpg

Hard to tell but i painted it the same color as my blazer
IMG_0363.jpg

Getting the bumpers and everything else painted
IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

Last edited:
At this point i had the car completely put back together, so it was time to start working on the motor more so i bought a new manifold and new turbo
IMG_0355.jpg

Borg warner s360 with extended tip
IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

I started to polish the turbo but after about an hour i gave up and decided id just paint it to match everything else
IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Once i had everything bolted up it was time to figure out my exhaust, i used a 4.21 marmon flange off the turbo to a 3.5" downpipe, this is what i did for mockup
IMG_0378.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Sadly i didnt get any pictures of this, but it more or less looks just like the cans just a whole lot nicer and bigger

+1 on using the electric DA sander. I had to do the same thing for the same reason(crappy compressor). Progress looks like it is coming along nicely. What type of gun do you use to paint/powder coat?

I used an old iwata that was used to paint a friends vw roughly 12 years ago, and it worked so much better than the cheap gun i got in my husky air tool set on my interior

Great buy and great project, time always makes everything look great!

Thanks guys its been a fun project and it pulls like crazy, but getting it to idle and tuned is going to be the death of me, im almost to the point i want to just drop it off at a shop and pick it up later, which is not what i do, i like to do everything myself

Thanks guys its been a fun project and it pulls like crazy, but getting it to idle and tuned is going to be the death of me, im almost to the point i want to just drop it off at a shop and pick it up later, which is not what i do, i like to do everything myself

Keep up with it, you will succeed eventually! Plus if you do it yourself you will gaining tons of knowledge!:thumb:

I did a boost leak test yesterday and found i have a pretty good leak where the turbo bolts to the manifold so i need to get it on a lift and replace the gasket or tighten it since the gasket was rolled on the edges i think it just needs to be crushed more.
I also had a friend bring me a new throttle body since mine didnt have a throttle stop on it and had been sticking and leaking at the shafts so ill find out today if that had to do with not being able to get the isc position down any less than 100 and why it wouldnt idle

I just had an idea as my car decided to back the waterpipe bolt loose and lose all the coolant, while i was sitting there with my phone in one hand and my wrench in the other trying to light up the engine bay, i thought it sure would be nice to have some actual light, so i got home after fixing it and started looking up led strips. I think i might add a stip underneith on the fire wall and also do a couple strips along the hood, has anyone done this before?

A pic of the other night after fixing my car
lot.jpg

and since everyone seems to have one of these
e85.jpg

I fixed the boost leak at the gasket, as you can see its no easy task, in order to remove the radiator you have to remove the turbo/manifold, and vise versa, its defiantly a two person job.
IMG_0391.jpg

Then since i was having so many wiring problems i figured why not just rewire everything, that then turned into a wire tuck
IMG_0480.jpg

I decided to put everything where the abs was, fuel injector resistor box, power transistor, distribution box, dynatek ark2
IMG_0440.jpg

Since i had a friend over and i was working on wiring, he said he wanted to work so i figured i guess install my new brakes.... well after he beat the hell out of them he noticed they were the wrong rotors (1in too small) he also brought over a set of wheels that he said i could have
IMG_0483.jpg

And a friend of mine just got his gvr4 set up, and well 2 ecus later
IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

After calling me up for help i found out his isc is bad and burning up drivers, instead of looking to fix the problem he just kept plugging in ecus

After fixing it, it was time for startup, not even 1 minute in he already wanted to set up antilag VIDEO
th_IMG_0493.jpg

Quick highway pull,30 mph to whenevers safe. VIDEO
th_IMG_0448.gif

Last edited:
GVR4 looks pretty insane. Your talon pulls nicely!

Cool update.

Yeah the galant is nuts its a pretty sweet build, tahnks!

Did not realize you knew Mike. Tell him I am ready to tune the Galant when ever he is ready. Good the see the start up map I walked him through worked great. I figured I would teach him a little while we were at it. Being able to do that stuff on your own is important.

So I take it your car has made leaps and bounds since I last saw it at Brandon's house in Brighton?

Yeah i know mike, thats crazy you know him too, i dont think he listened to you at all, nothing was set up on the galant, base fuel pressure was even at 65 psi, and when i asked him why he said idk but we set it... but yeah ill let him know, he needs to send the ecu off to get repaired and a new isc then should be ready for a tune. If you set his up ill stop by and have you look at my tune also if thats cool with you.
Oh yeah man wiring was the biggest issue, the po just hacked the shit out of it, and i ditched the mitsubishi alt for a saturn unit and with both pumps on and fans voltage never dips below 13.5

I have known him for a good six years now. When he had the other car that caught on fire. I was at his house last week and spent an hour or two with him going over things. They needed to rewire some things as the map sensor was not right and a few other small details we went over. I hope he is not driving that thing yet as it is not ready.

You can come by any time. Just need to nail a time down so i can coordinate with work. I just know when i saw it last the poor thing would not even stay running. That build and turbo should get you a really fast car. Let me know as i would love to help push it further.

Oh no kidding, yeah i rewired the map sensor the other day for him, im gona be stopping by again today and im gonna replace the drivers and just leave the isc unpluged until he can get a new one then go over everything and possibly start it up and drive it around the neighborhood.
Sounds good to me i have to finish up the wiring, a little more and get all the brakes put back on then it should be good to go, i was driving the car for a while but everytime i drove it some electrical would go haywire and id either have to fix it on the side of the road or get it towed back home, so i moved it back to my parents garage, ill get what i think is a nice tune on it, then have you look it over one of these days and tweak it

Finally finished my wire tuck, the only thing is the drivers side is just ugly now, i went to the junk yard and got a non abs proportioning valve but couldnt get the lines off, so abs stays til i find some lines for the front brakes, and next is power steering... but im being indecisive about removing it, anyone with EXPERIENCE removing power steering and looping the lines in a 2G , how bad is it? pros and cons?

Finally finished my wire tuck, the only thing is the drivers side is just ugly now, i went to the junk yard and got a non abs proportioning valve but couldnt get the lines off, so abs stays til i find some lines for the front brakes, and next is power steering... but im being indecisive about removing it, anyone with EXPERIENCE removing power steering and looping the lines in a 2G , how bad is it? pros and cons?

As for the new brake lines I just picked up new straight lines from autozone (or a store like that) and just bend them yourself. I think it was about 8 dollars a piece for the lines then I just had to rent a flare kit for the lines. IMO I think new lines are better and a lot easier to work with. As for the PS lines, just remove the belt quick on the pump then you can see for yourself how bad it really is. Nice pick and build you got going there tho! :thumb:

I'm digging it, another dsm brought back from the darkness LOL. Great work and sweet ride.

As for the new brake lines I just picked up new straight lines from autozone (or a store like that) and just bend them yourself. I think it was about 8 dollars a piece for the lines then I just had to rent a flare kit for the lines. IMO I think new lines are better and a lot easier to work with. As for the PS lines, just remove the belt quick on the pump then you can see for yourself how bad it really is. Nice pick and build you got going there tho! :thumb:

i was thinking about goiing with braided lines but for 8 bucks ill look into that, ill try removing the belt and giving it a shot sometime today

Damn dude, you do some nice work!
Thanks man!

I'm digging it, another dsm brought back from the darkness LOL. Great work and sweet ride.
Its coming along ill have to remember to snap some new pics later

Well after a few months of driving the car the turbo decided to blow, so i made the decision that the car was going to be rebuilt, im going to be building a 2.3l stroker... maybe, dont know if i want to ditch the je pistons i just bought 4k miles ago (motor was rebuilt 4k ago) with fp 294/302 cams, possibly upgrading the turbo to a borg warner s366 instead of the s360 i have now, and a full -10 feed and return fuel line with a swirl pot, yesterday i did some cutting to start mapping out the fuel and decided a tube front end would be pretty sweet, after cutting the front of the car off i was kinda disappointed at how little it weighed, i was thinking it weighed a ton but didnt, but its still going to be nice being able to mount the intercooler and radiator how i want
Looking up
IMG_0541_zpsc14f251f.jpg

IMG_0542_zpsc72933c8.jpg

IMG_0543_zpsffdaa8f4.jpg

IMG_0538_zps7d98dade.jpg

IMG_0539_zpsef5eeff4.jpg

IMG_0540_zps15dcb267.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back