1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G Clutch to floor & not starting

Posted by 2gturbo7-AZ, Feb 10, 2020

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. 2gturbo7-AZ

2gturbo7-AZ Probationary Member

Joined Feb 10, 2020
    Mesa, Arizona
    Hey guys,

I’ve owned a few 2G GST’s and one GSX but never a Spyder. None-the-less, I’ve never came across this issue with the clutch having to be 110% pushed down to start the vehicle. Yes, I know the clutch must be pushed in for it to start, but mine is super finicky and after sitting for the last few days, it’s not wanting to start.

I’ve done some research, and everywhere says it’s the battery – but, the battery is basically brand new, all the lights turn on, radio, headlights and everything else seems to be powered just fine. This makes me think it’s the starter solenoid that is not allowing the vehicle to start or that the clutch may need to be replaced as the vehicle is not registering that the clutch is all the way down to start the vehicle.

I bought the car a couple of weeks ago knowing the clutch had to be pushed 110% in for it to start, but over the last few weeks its been seeming to get worse and today the car wouldn’t turn over and start.

Any thoughts?

Street Build 196  9

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. Kryndon

Kryndon Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2014
    Bulgaria, Europe
    It wont hurt to measure the voltage on your new battery just in case. Also, try unplugging the white clutch switch connector and see if it would start that way.

Street Build 3K  12

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    2gturbo7-AZ likes this.
  3. TK's9d2TSi

TK's9d2TSi Supporting Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio

353  3

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Classic
    awd · automatic · Misc Vehicles

376  4

93 Civic 4 Door -sold-
    fwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 3K  6

1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    12.625 @ 111.42 · 1G DSM
    2gturbo7-AZ and 91talonts1 like this.
  4. randman2011

randman2011 Proven Member

Joined Feb 26, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you trust yourself and everyone else that would be driving the car, bypass the clutch safety switch. You can buy a plug that shorts the two contacts in the connector or you can go to town with a soldering iron for free. If you were already having issues, this is the best way to absolutely guarantee that your starting problem is not with the switch. Some even recommend it for a reduction in thrust bearing wear (READ:crankwalk) but I think that might be a little overblown.

Street Build 949  1

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. pauleyman

pauleyman DSM Wiseman

Joined Nov 19, 2011
    oklahoma city, Oklahoma
    It's a normally closed switch. You just unplug it. Why the solder or additional part? I've done this to all my dsms both 1g and 2g.

Street Build 3K  1

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON likes this.