The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

clutch/flywheel worries

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKWTSI

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Lake Wylie, South_Carolina
Ok guys, I'm getting paranoid. It's been a year and half since I started this project and many parts have come and gone.

I'm about ready to fire this up and for what ever reason I'm starting to think I screwed up something in the clutch/flywheel setup.

I supposedly bought a ACT 6 bolt AWD flywheel and put a new friction liner in it. bolted up a XTD comp 4 clutch to it. Now I'm wondering after reading some articles lately, if I've got the right flywheel:confused:

Is there a big difference between AWD and FWD flywheels. I'm beating myself up, wondering if the diameter size might cause the starter to not engage properly. I tried to start this thing yesterday and the starter sounded like it threw out and tried to catch, but nothing happened.

I haven't had a chance to run down any other scenerios and check all my connections and grounds, but figured I'd at least ask and settle my mind.

I'm not absolutely positive that a FWD turbo flywheel will fit inside an AWD bell housing. In any case, the difference between FWD turbo (larger) and AWD (smaller) flywheels is around a quarter of an inch in overall diameter.

Normally the issue is folks using the AWD flywheel in a FWD application that keeps the starter from catching correctly. If the FWD flywheel does fit in the AWD case, it would be too tall to allow the starter to engage.

AHH!!
Well I was wondering. I knew there was a size difference, but how much I didn't know. I've been a long time in building this and pretty sure everything I've bought for this has been model specific, but now it's time to make it come to life I have been running over the forums to make sure I have done everything correctly and have picked up on info', that started me thinking.

I guess it's more just seeds of doubt and need to just get it done.

Thanks for the advice.:thumb:

I know this was posted a while back, but I thought I would add something to any future seekers to the answer of this question. FWD flywheels will NOT fit inside an AWD housing. Came across this issue twice. First time I didn't know any better, and second time, I was sent the wrong flywheel. The transmission (AWD) will not fit over a FWD flywheel. A FWD transmission will fit over a AWD flywheel causing stater issues (not catching). Hope this helps any future seekers.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back