The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Clutch disc differences

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kspharris

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2005
Goodlettsville, Tennessee
Just wondering if anyone knows what the stock disc is made of and what the ACT or other brands are made of? I guess what I am asking also is has anyone used a ACT 2600 with a stock disc and had good results? That is what I am wanting to do. Thanks, Keith. :dsm:

You're going to have to be more specific.

There are many different materials used in clutch disc's these days. The most common - the street disc's, uses a steel backed carbon Kevlar material. There are also disc's that use Kevlar, ceramic, or sintered iron picks.

The material of the friction surface of a OE style and an ACT street disc, are probably close to the same material. There's probably a difference in the spring size and/or rate in the sprung hubs.

What are you trying to accomplish by using a 2600 PP and an OE style disc?

Well I have the ACT from a previous car that I had and was waiting to install it on my 2G when the clutch went out. I was going to buy a new ACT disc and use it but my clutch needs to be replaced soon before it goes out. I do not currently have the $109.99 to buy a new ACT disc. I have the $39.99 for a stock disc replacement. I could try to make the clutch in there now hold until I get more money. The reason why the rush on this is I am about to do some upgrades and my friend is helping me and I wanted to do it all at once instead of a few different times. Let me know what you think, any and all help is apprieciated. Thank you, Keith.

I had to get a tranny back into a car and couldn't wait for the ACT "yellow spring" version street disk (I was sent the wrong one). I had my old factory disk relined by a local shop with what looked exactly like the old ACT disk material.

It doesn't grip or hold the same as the ACT. I should have waited.

Looks like I will be waiting for the ACT. Thanks for all the help guys. Which do you guys suggest: street disc, 6-puck, 4-puck? They are all about the same price. Thanks, Keith.

Yeah I did some more searching and think I will go with the street disc.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back