The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Charcoal Canister help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl5463729

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2004
Lancaster, New_York
I have recently removed my charcoal canister. i followed the tech guide on this site http://www.dsmtuner.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211982 . i did everything that is on it, but when i went to fill up my gas today, there was a huge rush of air. i have already searched and have found 2 different answers. one is to leave the gas cap off a litte, which i don't want to do, and the other is to put a breather on the end that was going into the charcoal canister. i want to know what are the side effects of this, gas smell, or anything, or if thier is a better solution. Thanks. i have a 90 so emmissions isn't a worry and it wasn't connected in the first place.

It wasn't air but gas fumes, ya know what the charcoal canister takes care of. and yes it was when i unscrewed the cap.

Here in New Mexico, the altitude between my two houses is almost 2000 feet. So naturally, when I go to fill up, there is lots of pressure built up and there is usually a "rush of air" when I open the gas cap as well.

Why not just route the pipe down towards the ground instead of capping it which is what the pressure build up is? I would just make sure its away from your exhaust parts, you don't want it getting too hot around there...

I routed mine up & looped it back down with a small fuel filter ( to keep airborne dirt from getting sucked in) in line, no pressure!:rocks:

Ok, so today out of boredom I decided to remove the factory vacuum lines and using a version of the Taboo Speed Shop vacuum diagram reran the vacuum lines. I took out both the FP solenoid and the purge solenoid. and left the charcoal canister hooked up to the intake. The car ran as it did before without any increase in vacuum (to my dismay :mad: ) I then made a run to Autozone to pick up a big enough vacuum cap to cap the nipple on the intake so I could disconnect the line connected to the charcoal canister. Per numerous reccomendations here I trmporarily routed the hos down towards the ground so the fumes dont stay in the engine bay. On the way home I hooked up the datalogger and also to my dismay I was getting huge knock. I could feel it pulling timing badly.

Do I need tuning in order to remove the fuel purge system? It would seem that I am running more lean than before. I saw about .87v on the datalogger when I usually run between .89-.91v. Boost stayed the same at 15psi.

Can I just leave the charcoal canister connected to the intake without the purge solenoid connected to vacuum and still be ok?

Any help is appreciated

Do you still have the pcv? Did you just started venting the breather off the VC? Did you just blocked off the EGR?

oldman said:
Do you still have the pcv? Did you just started venting the breather off the VC? Did you just blocked off the EGR?

Sorry, I meant to add the diagram I used to my original post and completely spaced it, this is what I did minus the catch cans. The PCV is as it is stock and the breather runs into the intake:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Not shown in the diagram is the charcoal canister and the hose that routes into the intake that I diosconnected.

No wonder your name looked familiar ROFL, you posted that picture in another thread.

If you're absolutely sure that there was no knock right before the hose removal than I suspect that fuel vapor from the canister is no longer being pulled into the intake pipe making you run slightly leaner from you last tune.

oldman said:
No wonder your name looked familiar ROFL, you posted that picture in another thread.

If you're absolutely sure that there was no knock right before the hose removal than I suspect that fuel vapor from the canister is no longer being pulled into the intake pipe making you run slightly leaner from you last tune.

The vapors are now flowing down around the transfer case. I didnt realize that the vapors would make that much difference in the AFR.

Should I try and turn down the boost enough to dial out the knock or is it better to leave the whole fuel purge system intact? I only removed the lines to clear some of the clutter in the engine bay. I'm not looking to cut ounces here and there :D

I hosnestly don't know, I would just re-connect that line and do another log and see.

oldman said:
I hosnestly don't know, I would just re-connect that line and do another log and see.

What is a common practice when upgrading to a hard intake line? Is the nipple for the fuel purge canister built into it or is that system just tuned out entirely?

Ski Bum said:
What is a common practice when upgrading to a hard intake line? Is the nipple for the fuel purge canister built into it or is that system just tuned out entirely?
Most aftermarket intake pipes doesn't come with the fitting and most, including myself, will simply delete the line altogether, I currently have a K&N type filter on the canister fitting.

oldman said:
Most aftermarket intake pipes doesn't come with the fitting and most, including myself, will simply delete the line altogether, I currently have a K&N type filter on the canister fitting.

Is the filter attched to the nipple on the canister that originally connected the hose to the intake? What about the 2 unused nipples on the purge control valve that routed into the solenoid? Should they be capped?

I see that you have a pre staged eprom as well as a SAFC. Is the SAFC compensating for the lack of those fuel vapors as well as the general tune?

*EDIT*: I hooked the charcoal canister hose back up to the intake in the stock position and did some datalogs. Everything appears to be back to normal. I'm not seeing any knock at all. Heres a new log:

15psi boost
RPM:6406
INJD:103%
KNCK:0
O2-R:.87v
TPS:99.6%
TIMA:21*
INJP:19.4ms
Fuel trims: all at 100%

My vacuum is still at a low 12-15 in/hg

Hi, Looking for similar advice on doing a clean removal of my canister on a 1G NT. Would sure appreciate if someone could comment on my below approach to see if I am doing this correctly. Many Thanks.

Also, does this mod create any noticeable issues with the car? I know there will be codes thrown but any impact to driveablity on a NT?

Attachments

• Talon NT evap elim diagram 1.jpg
    Talon NT evap elim diagram 1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 133
  • Talon NT evap elim diagram 2.jpg
    Talon NT evap elim diagram 2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 137
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back