The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Changing the belts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba9110

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 13, 2010
Madras, Oregon
So I need to change my belts because they started squealing horribly and now they won't stop. So I bought all three belts and took the top most belt off realizing that I needed to take the alternator belt (i think) off first. So I was looking around and it looks like to me you have to loosen up the alternator for the adjustment to loosen the belt enough to take it off. Is that correct? And also where do I even start to get that back belt off? It's way the heck back there. So i don't even know where to start with that one. Thanks.

So I need to change my belts because they started squealing horribly and now they won't stop. So I bought all three belts and took the top most belt off realizing that I needed to take the alternator belt (i think) off first. So I was looking around and it looks like to me you have to loosen up the alternator for the adjustment to loosen the belt enough to take it off. Is that correct? And also where do I even start to get that back belt off? It's way the heck back there. So i don't even know where to start with that one. Thanks.

hey buddy i live in bend if you want you can drive down to my house and ill help you with the belt change. it shouldn't take but an hour, if that, to change. its actually pretty simple. first things first dont take the alternator belt off and try and drive your car around cause for one it recharges your battery, and second it runs your oil pump and your water pump if im not mistaken! pm me if you need help and ill give you my #.

Yea, changing the belts can be a pain not really an ideal work area. My hands get all kinda bent, scratched, and messed up working in that area. Not to mention the pain in the lower back of bending over. But I'd take up Doctor Shock on his offer if your social. Always nice to just kick back and bullpoop about DSM's for a few hours. Though it will piss off you gf/fiancee/wife or bf/husband. Does mine. I say will be gone for 30min and 3 hours later I get back all excited that I ran into another DSM'er. LOL Any way if you attempt to do it yourself post some questions. It's really difficult to write a whole tech post on how to remove and replace all those belts.

But found this post I was helping with last week for the Alternator belt. Alternator Belt - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com Hope it helps some.

I would do this as follows:

1- remove alternator belt - there is an adjustment screw held by a long 12mm screw (long threads) that is held on by an opposing 12mm bolt. Loosen the tightening bolt and then loosen the long screw. This will have slack in the alternator belt. The alternator itself also has 12mm nut/bolt that needs to be loosened in order to pivot the alternator (look under the alternator for this one).

2 - power steering belt - loosen the 4 12mm bolts on the power steering bracket (they have phillips grooves in them)- rock the power steering pump back and remove belt.

3 - same long bolt / secure bolt mechanism for the AC belt in the back. Loosen it up and the tightening pulley should slack a bit.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back