The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Catch can setup, hood clearance, with FP intake

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I know there are many topics on catch can setups and what is best. But that is all up to you. I will show you how I recirculated my catch can back into my intake pipe. I know a bunch of people struggle with recirculating with AN fittings with aftermarket intake pipes. I didnt see many threads showing how to do it. Also another subject is hood clearance with AN fittings on the valve cover.

First I decided to go with a sealed can that would recirculate back to the intake pipe. I decided to mount it above the battery. This was the easy part.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The fittings for the valve cover look like this.

Now many people are worried about hood clearance. I was unable to get pictures of this step because it I cant get a picture with the hood closed. Now go to the local dollar store and get some play dough.

Now will want to shape it into a square and set it where you want the fittings to be on the valve cover. The AN fitting you will need to cut or grind to make smaller. You will set it on the valve cover and shut the hood. If the Play dough loses form than your going to hit the fittings. Make the play dough smaller and smaller until it doesn't lose form when you shut the hood. Once your not hitting the play dough measure the height of it. Then mark the height of the fitting where you need to cut to. When I did mine, the fitting couldn't stick up more than 1 1/8 of a inch. Keep doing this process untill you know you wont hit the hood on the fitting. Another thing to consider was that my welder, said that with the fittings that low is was hard to weld under it. Im sure other people will have different numbers and different experience welders. Just keep measuring and cutting the fitting until you are 100% sure you have clearance. I know there are different ways to put fitting on top of the valve cover but this is how I did it. You can also glue the fitting after your done cutting it to try and shut the hood to be safe. You will need to drill the holes for the fitting as well. Im assuming since we got this far we all know how to use a drill.

Now to get the fitting into the intake pipe. There are different ways to do this. You can drill a hole and JB weld it. Or you can have someone weld it. You can drill and tap the fitting in there. Or you can get a bulkhead fitting. My first plan was to drill and tap it. This can be hard because the pipe is not flat.I bought both a 3/8 npt to 8AN and a 8AN bulkhead fitting just to be safe. There is not much room for threads when tapping a intake pipe.

I then drilled and tapped it. The drill bit needs to be pretty big. I did not have on that big so I ended up using a file. Also tapping this was kind of hard. Being as the pipe is not flat it was hard to stay straight. After I tapped it I ran the fitting in. I had to force the fitting in. This is why I had a bulk head for a back up just in case it stripped out. I also put teflon tape around the fittings threads.

You can then install the Intake pipe on the car and install all your fittings.

Hope this helps. I wish had pictures for the hood clearance part because I know many people struggle with that. Also didnt see any "How To" for this subject. Also this was on a 2g. Im not sure of hood clearance on a 1g. There are many ways to have your PCV system. This is what I chose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back