The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

car misses

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny_l_2005

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2004
weslaco, Texas
My car has been doing this for at least 3-4months. The misfire only happens in idle. It does not create any drivability issues. But I do get this pulsation when im going 40+ n boosting in partial throttle. My plugs are new and they are NGK bpr7es gapped to .028. My wires are about a year old. I got a walbro 190lph rewired, and about 6 month fuel filter.

Pull the plugs and take a look at them, see if they are fouled up, or tan, fouled=black, and tan=lean. Also while the car is at idle wiggle the wires around and see if they spark or make a "snapping" noise, and look on the wires for any pin prick holes that are white, this would mean your wires are going or gone. Also what octane are you running? My car skipped, and idled like shit when my mom drove it and filled it with 87:mad:, but it ran nicely again after I put 93 back in it. Also play with the BISS, and see if that helps by upping the base idle a little.

Dustin

I had a missfire at idle and below 5500 rpms when wot. Changed my plugs...didnt help even though my plug wires were less than 6 months old I went ahead and replaced them and that solved the problem...except for a day later it come back then it took me 2 days to figure out a plug wire popped off the coil...:coy:

fourreGsixty3 said:
Pull the plugs and take a look at them, see if they are fouled up, or tan, fouled=black, and tan=lean. Also while the car is at idle wiggle the wires around and see if they spark or make a "snapping" noise, and look on the wires for any pin prick holes that are white, this would mean your wires are going or gone. Also what octane are you running? My car skipped, and idled like shit when my mom drove it and filled it with 87:mad:, but it ran nicely again after I put 93 back in it. Also play with the BISS, and see if that helps by upping the base idle a little.

Dustin

Dont mess with the biss unless you have access to a scantool.

LOL i don't want to get zapped. I pulled the plugs last week, none seems to be different. But there is something different with one coil than the other. on 4th (4th cylinder) hole its seems to be alot darker than the 1st coil 2nd hole(2nd cylinder). Ill post a picture in a little bit.

Here are the two pictures showing the difference

Attachments

• picture.JPG
    picture.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 82
  • picture2.JPG
    picture2.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 81
I have been zapped by these and it is nothing big, its more of a surprise then pain. If you wear insulated gloves, and do it at night, you will be able to see the electricity arc, and you wont get zapped. It looks like that #4 hole on the coil is bad, or burnt up, if you have a friend that has a coil from the same gen. and test it out and see if it changes the misfire on yours or unplug the battery and try to clean up that 4th hole. http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BISS-1G.html, and sure a logger would be good to have as well, but its not needed, for basic adjustments to see if the idle misfire will change from lowering it or upping the idle...most likely make the mis fire dissapear at higher base idle setting.

Dustin

thats really wierd my car is doing the same thing the past couple months it just doesnt wanna run right i have a 98 rs auto and when i come to a dead stop the idle just goes way down almost dieing and i changed my spark plugs and they were pretty black whats that mean?

Not trying to be mean, but don't hijack my thread. Your car has a different problem as mine doesn't try to die at a dead stop. It only misses at idle every 5-10 seconds.

matt98eclipse said:
thats really wierd my car is doing the same thing the past couple months it just doesnt wanna run right i have a 98 rs auto and when i come to a dead stop the idle just goes way down almost dieing and i changed my spark plugs and they were pretty black whats that mean?
Im just awnsering your question cause it should be awnsered, but please dont jack threads in the future, it means you are running rich, PM me if you have any questions or want to figure out why.

Dustin

I tried doing what you asked me to do about the wire, thankfully nothing was wrong with the wires. But what I also did was check the spark by removing a wire from the coil at a time. I started with the first to the right which is (3) spark look strong in a blueish color. Next I tried the second (2) also the same blueish and strong. Tried the third (1) look blueish and somewhat strong. But then I tried the fourth (4) looked really yellowish with orange and was very different from all others. Is my fourth the problem of my misfiring?

Yeah your 4th seems to be weak. That is also the one that is blackend correct? Maybe that wire some how got over loaded and is now weak. Go you have any local friends that have a 2g DSM? If so ask to pull their coil plug, and their 1 wire, and put it on yours then check the flame colors and tryyetting it idle and see if it still midfires then, it sounds like at idle the 4th wire is weak, but during driving it gains strength and works how it should...well except for the fact of its electric flow during idle and cruising.

Dustin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back