The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

car just gets super rich when cruising

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangedsm95

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2010
detroit-area, Michigan
Im having issues with my car running really rich like 10 flat. When i first start it the car is fine but if i let it idle for more than a couple of minutes it gets real rich. It also will do the same thing after driving around for about 15 mins or more. I have tried testing the tps and it tested fine. So i adjusted the tps to see if that was causing it but that made no difference. I just cant figure what could cause this to happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jr

sounds like its your idle speed control motor. when the car starts up its in open loop so the isc has nothing to do with controlling the idle. when its warmed up it goes into closed loop and the isc is supposed to keep it at a nice idle...at cruise it is also in closed loop. so the two things you need to test out are your isc motor and the narrowband O2 sensor, because thats what tells the ecu how to handle your isc.

http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/throttlebody.htm
http://dmtalon.v8eaters.com/ISC.html

When u say the narrowband o2 sensor are u refering to the o2 sensor in the o2 housing?

When u say the narrowband o2 sensor are u refering to the o2 sensor in the o2 housing?

Yes, that's the O2 that your ecu uses to determine how much fuel to use unless you have your wideband running a narrowband sim into your ecu. Are you running bigger injectors than factory maybe? You have to compensate or trick your computer to compensate for the larger injectors, your ecu can only compensate so much.

edit: After looking at your car's mods, double check your fuel pressure against factory pressure then double check your settings on your AFC to make sure they haven't changed from your last known good settings.

Last edited:
Ok i went and checked out the things u guys suggested and realized the front o2 sensor was unplugged. So i plugged it back in and the car doesnt richen up when cruising like it did but after idling for about 5 minutes it still riching out to 10 flat. The afc settings are the same i have them written down. I have the fuel pressure set at 50 psi with the vaccum line hooked up.

50 is a little high for your setup depending on how much boost you are running. i would lower the pressure to 42 psi and still check the isc and then do a boost leak test. a boost leak could cause intermittent problems with you running rich and still not show up during cruise.

The isc tested fine. I was looking over the wiring for the wideband and found that whoever installed it tied white wire into the wrong pin (pin76) on the ecu.. Atleast i think they did. It goes to pin 75 correct?? I know i have a few boost leaks the main one being the bov diaphragm. Also i run 18-20psi so do u think the fuel pressure is still to high?

2G Turbo ECU Pinouts
these are the pinouts for the 2g.
also i'm running 25 psi daily on a 50 trim agp turbo and my fuel is at 42-43 psi. but if your safc is compensated for that it might not be an issue. i'm just saying thats all it took me to not have any knock at 25psi was 42 psi of fuel. (just remember if you drop the fuel pressure you will have to adjust the safc accordingly)
now back to the pinout. i hope you mean the narrowband O2 sensor cause i didnt see dsmlink or any ecu mods on your page so the wb can't be plugged into the ecu. if it is in fact the narrowband then the front one is supposed to go to pin 76. so since your isc is good then that pretty much narrows it down to boost leaks and O2 sensors. one side question just for sh!ts and giggles...is your bov recirculated?

I'm responding for the op and yes his bov is recirculated. He also disconnected the white wire from the wideband and it seems to be running a lot better.

I lowered the fuel pressure to 43psi. But now i have a new problem the air-fuel ratios are erratic as hell. The wideband is jumping from about 14.1 to like 15.2-15.3 and u can feel the power loss when you're driving down the road. The wierd thing is that wot the air-fuel ratios steedy. I dont even know where to start.

Your car cycles the fueling under cruise conditions. While 14.1 to 15.2 is a little on the wild side, it's not that crazy. Stoic is 14.7 so you're not too far off. If you o2 sensor was unplugged for a while, it may have fouled the sensor. Try replacing it.

2G Turbo ECU Pinouts
these are the pinouts for the 2g.
also i'm running 25 psi daily on a 50 trim agp turbo and my fuel is at 42-43 psi. but if your safc is compensated for that it might not be an issue. i'm just saying thats all it took me to not have any knock at 25psi was 42 psi of fuel. (just remember if you drop the fuel pressure you will have to adjust the safc accordingly)
now back to the pinout. i hope you mean the narrowband O2 sensor cause i didnt see dsmlink or any ecu mods on your page so the wb can't be plugged into the ecu. if it is in fact the narrowband then the front one is supposed to go to pin 76. so since your isc is good then that pretty much narrows it down to boost leaks and O2 sensors. one side question just for sh!ts and giggles...is your bov recirculated?

Someone had actually cut the wire going to pin 76 and connected the white wire from the aem wideband to it. So i clipped the wire from the wideband and reconnected the original wire back together. But when i did that it started having the problems i was talking about in the post just before this.

I wanted to add my afc settings at lo throttle are +6, +13, +13, +11, +9, +7, +5 all the way to 7k. Is it a possiblity that the fuel filter being bad could cause the car to act like that?

Last edited:
I tested the o2 sensor today and everything tested fine except for the 2 wires for heater element. I was getting 0-ohms from those wires. So i guess it must be the 02 sensor than. Now i know the oem ones are probably the best quality but i dont have oem money right now LOL. So out of bosch, ngk/ntk, and denso what would you guys say is the better sensor?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back