The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Car Feels Like Hitting a Brick Wall and Studders Through Powerband

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex99gst

20+ Year Contributor
Feb 10, 2003
Nashville, Tennessee
I never noticed this problem until I got a logger and was planning on making some redline pulls in third gear. It was very appearant that something was wrong when the boost would stop and rpm's would drop a little but the car would feel like I just ran into a wall. Whatever it is, it only happens when I go WOT and once it builds boost, something happens and it is an instant decelleration and then once it gets back up to speed it happens again and again. I have a log where I let it do this 2 or 3 times and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with what I need to do to fix this/figure out what is going on. Also, I just replaced the oxygen sensor with a brand new denso one and the readings so far do not seem right at all :confused:

Attachments

• problem log image.jpg.jpeg
    problem log image.jpg.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 410
  • log.doc
    95.5 KB · Views: 63
Only thing that seems sketchy is that I always heard of people hitting fuel cut near redline. I can't even get to 4k without that happening in third gear. Could it be because I have most of the stage 1 mods except for fuel? Also, the pocketlogger software said something about being able to adjust fuel delivery or something. Is there anything I can do right now to get more fuel or would I need some new injectors?

YOu're probably just running out of fuel. I had the exact same thing happen when i was starting to max out the stock fuel pump. Change that and see what happens.

Your hitting Fuel Cut, look at the Injector Duty Cycle...0

Fuel Cut is not caused by lack of fuel, it is caused by the ECU seeing too much air.

So either you have a boost leak, or you need to turn down the boost or hack your MAF so the ECU doesn't see as much air.

Your other option is to buy bigger Injectors and some sort of piggyback such as an S-AFC that will lie to the ECu and make it see less air.

I'm willing to bet that I have a boost leak as the supra sidemount LICP proved to be extremely difficult and I just ghetto rigged one on there as a temporary piece so that the car would run. That is probably also the reason my gas milage sucks. Thanks guys and I'll check this stuff out tomorrow.

I had a similar problem in my 2g, would pull fine until a certain rpm then felt like fuel cut but it turned out my mas took a shit. Replaced the mas and never had the problem again.

-Damian

Alright guys, I'm still battling fuel cut, but I've messed around with a few things lately and it has helped delay it a little. I reconnected the EGR vacuum lines that the previous owner unplugged as well as plugging some open s and my vacuum shot up 2 Hg. I also tightened up some of the intercooler piping couplers that had come a little loose. I turned the boost controller down, but it stayed at the 14 psi, where it was before. All in all I logged the car today and was trying to figure out how to fix the gas mileage because it did/does suck. I have read before that if your timing is off that can affect your mileage. When I first logged the car today the timing was jumping from 30-35* while it was idling, then after the run it dropped to 10-15*. Here is the logged run where I noticed my timing got all the way up to 45*. My question is does anything seem wrong with my timing that you guys can tell from the log? Also, if I went to a shop that had a timing gun and they were to check and see if my timing is off, how would they adjust it?

Attachments

• log.doc
    132.5 KB · Views: 76
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back