The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Car almost stalling after acceleration!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ab dsm

Probationary Member
Dec 1, 2011
Aurora, ON_Canada
My car isn't on the road yet but that's what I'm working towards.
The problem is once i start the car and let it warm up it's idleing at 1000 rpms and once i give it gas, as its in neutral, the rpms rise and when i let off the gas the rpms go well below idle and the car wants to stall. Most of the time it doesn't but this is only in neutral. if the car is cold it seems not to do this and goes back to normal idle after a quick rev. But once its warm this problem occures.

I have cleaned the throttle body, checked to make sure its not sticking, and the throttle cable seems to be working properly too. My car has a fuel pressure regulator and at idle it sits at 40 psi but when this bogging down of the motor occurs the psi drops to 0 and sometimes stalls or the fuel pressure goes back up to 40psi and the motor returns to normal idle.

The car also has 450cc injectors and i'm thinking they could be whats causing me problems.
I was also thinking the ISC could be acting up.
Also the gas pedal is a little sticky. It never gets fully stuck but while giving the car gas it tends to be uneven in the effort it takes to push the pedal, but i'm not sure if these things are all related.

i just really want to get my car on the road for the remainder of the summer any and all suggestions are very much appreciated.

forgot to mention the car is a 1995 eagle talon tsi :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have a direct answer for you, but don't forget to inspect the vacuum lines as well. The fuel could be cutting off when the ECU tries to compensate for too much air entering somewhere. :hmm:

Too many times it's something little and dumb that gives us the biggest problems.

It has a 1g bov so yes it is. And yeah i will check the vaccuum lines for sure and im almost certain the car is running lean because after letting it run when i pulled the spark plugs they had a little white on the top and i was told that its running to lean but im not too sure how to richen the mixture can i do that by upping the psi on the fuel pressure regulator?

As for checking the tps what should i be looking for?

my car has a fuel pressure regulator and at idle it sits at 40 psi but when this bogging down of the motor occurs the psi drops too 0 and sometimes stalls or the fuel pressure goes back up to 40psi and the motor returns to normal idle. :thumb:

You definitely have an issue with your fuel pressure.

Did you set the base fuel pressure correctly? Did you take off the vacuum line to the pressure regulator and set the base pressure with the line off, like you should have?

How old is your fuel pump, do you know the condition of the little o-ring that sits on top of the pump?

Is this some crappy knock-off pressure regulator, or is it a good one?

I'm not to sure if the fuel pressure regulator is set properly because when i bought the car it was modded allready.
i was wondering who would agree with my suspicions of my problem being from that. i will set it properly with vac line off.

As for the fuel pump not sure but the guy i bought it off of had it for two years and he said he put in a walbro fuel pump. The fuel pressure regulator is a no namer from what i can tell so i'm not sure how to adjust it. It looks like something on the top turns and that might allow me to adjust it :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I would find out what fuel pump you have it isnt hard to remove it, or even get one you know for sure what kind it is either a 190 or 255, a new one is fairly cheap. Its also nice insurance not knowing on the condition of it, i would also grab a nice afpr, at the same time if you get or have a 255.

my car is doing something similar but not when its hot it actually runs better hot but it loses power slightly after 1-2 min and only gets better if i turn it off then on? I dont know why...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back