The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

cant get car to pass nys inspection

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99gsxkid

Probationary Member
Dec 5, 2011
bridgeport, New_York
I'm having issues trying to get my 97 gsx to pass inspection. The check engine light isn't on but i cannot get any of my monitors to ready. I drove 200 miles today and none of them have readied.I tried searching the forums but all of the posts ended up getting cluttered with too many people asking questions. What are my options for getting my car to pass? I seen something about going to mitsu and having them set the monitors with a scan tool? is there any other ways around this?

thanks alot for any help in advance
ray

There is a big thread on this. There is an issue with the ecu's where they will never pass unless you have Mitsubishi hook their scanner to it. You actually have to pay them money to do it which is major bs. Some stated will ignore the monitors on these cars because of this.

When I had that problem in VA I found the state has a repair option. If you take it to a mechanic and spend a minimum amount attempting to resolve the emissions issues they will give you a waiver for a year. I think it was about $600. Perhaps NY has something like that?

Are all monitors "not ready"?

There are certain thresholds that you have to meet while driving the car, I would have to look them up. Like maintain X speed for X time, etc.

Also, maybe try disconnecting the battery for a while and starting over....

just pay for a passing sticker

I wouldn't do that LOL, seeing how its highly illegal. (bad bad bad) saw a friend do that, actually it wasnt even his fault just the shop never registered the sticker to his vehicle so when the cops scanned it, it turned up as nothing I guess. Either way car was towed and he got arrested. Lol.

Just take it to the Mitsu dealer, ask for a quote, maybe they'd help you out since it wouldn't take them long. Get it inspected there

Wisconsin is amazing... no emissions testing & no care. I grew up here and only now am starting to see a lot of outside laws I look at n say BS.

Your car is exempt for the readiness monitors. Search and it while give you a list of cars under federal law that are exempt. 95-98 eclipse and talons are on that list. Print it off show it to the guy doing your inspection.

Well here is my .02$ I had this problem in NC you can have a max of 2 monitors not ready. I dont know if you have link or not but I do and when my car was tuned it was right after the battery was out so it saved all the not ready status' and some wont read anyway because they arent there You can turn on the monitor scanning and drive with link open and wait for the monitors to read. Now some of them will check bad before others check good so you will have to start over it took me like three trys but I got it to work and saved the good scans to my ecu. Im not link savy at all so its not like you need to be a tuner to do this it was pretty simple. I hope this helps if not I apologize but maybe it can help someone.

I wouldn't do that LOL, seeing how its highly illegal. (bad bad bad) saw a friend do that, actually it wasn't even his fault just the shop never registered the sticker to his vehicle so when the cops scanned it, it turned up as nothing I guess. Either way car was towed and he got arrested. Lol.

Just take it to the Mitsu dealer, ask for a quote, maybe they'd help you out since it wouldn't take them long. Get it inspected there

Im gonna give mitsu a call and see how much they're gonna charge to do it today. The only problem with this option is i don't have much money

Your car is exempt for the readiness monitors. Search and it while give you a list of cars under federal law that are exempt. 95-98 eclipse and talons are on that list. Print it off show it to the guy doing your inspection.

I did find this list last night on the wiki page but it didn't list NY as a state that accepts this? does that mean that it wont work in NY?

The reference thread for this issue is http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/maintenance-repairs/167675-not-passing-smog-because-monitors.html. Its getting long but worth the read through. I'm one of the members with a waiver for the flags. My post number 87 introduced the means of getting a waiver for the flags and the wiki was written soon after that. That was in 2007.

The wiki on the subject is old and moldy.

Several members since have posted about getting waivers based on the EPA rules that all states follow. It's an old problem with a lot of posts but the end can be a waiver to allow passing the emission tests without shelling out $$$$ every year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ky has no emissions and if u bring a car from out of state to transfer they just visually inspect the car

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back