The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

NYS Inspection

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xit40

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 23, 2004
Weedsport, New_York
Ok I just got a NYS Inspection done and my car failed for not having a cat. This is a problem cause I don't want one. My mechanic is kewl about not having one but the computer is not sooo kewl. NOTE: the CEL is NOT on and all the readiness monitors are complete. Apparently the computer system NYS uses is a little smarter than that. Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this problem short of putting a cat on my car cause I don't want one. I know that would fix the problem but it would cost to much dang money. Please don't link to topics without any useful info as I've read thru most of it and it's people just gloating that they "know a guy" or "welded a cut out cat over there test pipe" THIS WILL NOT FIX MY PROBLEM. Would you be able to pass by tampering with the rear sensor a la putting a resistor in it as described in the tech articles? I don't want to ruin anything without really needing to. I'm in the Syracuse, NY area so let me know. DO NOT POST WITHOUT ANY RELIVENT INFO.

I have never dealt with emissions, but if your computer is not throwing any codes for your rear o2 sensor, the only reason you would fail is a visual inspection. You could try taking the heat shielding off of a stock cat and tack it over your exhaust to 'look' like its there. Since a rear o2 simulator simulates the operation of a working rear sensor, I don't see why it would be flagged as a problem unless you didn't have a rear o2 sensor attatched to your exhaust.

Another option would be to just hollow out a cat and weld it in your exhaust.

In all honestly, if you've got the money for a high flow, I would get it. I didn't notice any performance differences when I installed mine and it really took the edge off of the sound and dialed back the smell a bit as well. But if money is tight, try one of the above options.

If im not mistaken the reason that your car is falling inspection is due to the im readiness test. The reason why it is failing is because the up stream and downstream o2 sensors are not reading any varience in O2 readings. Thus telling the computer that the converter is not doing its job properly. it may be, but not on your car. Go to.....i believe its jw whitney, or ebay, and try to find a casper for your car. The casper simulates o2 readings and tell the computer that there is a varience hence telling it you have a cat. Now if you can get it by your mechanic you should be through.
Good Luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back