The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Can my 1994 Eclipse GS body be repaired?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William Osterberg

Probationary Member
May 16, 2019
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Hi,
My 94 GS was hit on the driver's side rear wheel by an SUV traveling about 30 mph, breaking the axle, bending the cross bar just behind the axle, crumpling the quarter panel and warping the rear bumper. I was whipped around about 170 degrees. If it can fixed I would rather keep it. None of the shops here will deal with this.
I have been told that 1) with unibody construction this is not just a matter of replacing the quarter panel and possibly the bumper 2) there could be damage behind the quarter panel.
This is new territory for me and welcome any advice on how to assess the body/frame damage. I have done the usual type of body work.
Thanks in advance for your help.
William

Pictures will tell more, we need to see the standard damage outside, as well as underneath and inside the car with interior pieces removed.

I'd be worried about cracked subframe or weld portions, bent frame sections etc. If it's purely cosmetic, then it's fixable as long as you want to spend the time and money on it. Once you get into frame damage or more it's pretty pointless to try and repair without some sophisticated tools.

If you need parts, Miller Import parts might be able to help you with that.

Last edited:
If the impact was hard enough to break the rear axle you are probably better off looking for a new shell. The under side of the car is likely to be skewed causing all sorts of issues. IF the drive line has been altered you are going to be putting unknown stresses on the components that could result in early failure.

How good are you with a cutting wheel? How about a welder? How about Bondo?

From the way you described it the damage sounds pretty bad, but pictures will tell us everything!!
i am comfortable with Bondo and a cutting wheel. Welding was going to be next to repair rust hole in front of rear wheel wells.
Thanks!

Pictures will tell more, we need to see the standard damage outside, as well as underneath and inside the car with interior pieces removed.

I'd be worried about cracked subframe or weld portions, bent frame sections etc. If it's purely cosmetic, then it's fixable as long as you want to spend the time and money on it. Once you get into frame damage or more it's pretty pointless to try and repair with some sophisticated tools.

If you need parts, Miller Import parts might be able to help you with that.
The car means a great deal to me so the time and money are (almost) not an issue. It is hard to let go of. But of course I don't want an unsafe car or one that DMVs won't allow on the road. I could just use it around town.

I need to have someone assess it honestly and then if doable I would decide it I could do it and it would then become a project.

I will post pics. Thanks for your help!

If the impact was hard enough to break the rear axle you are probably better off looking for a new shell. The under side of the car is likely to be skewed causing all sorts of issues. IF the drive line has been altered you are going to be putting unknown stresses on the components that could result in early failure.

Thanks! Please clarify what you mean by 'drive line' and new 'shell.' I apologize for my ignorance.

Driveline referring to engine, transmission, axles, wheels etc.

Shell referring to the cars body itself. Often when everything unboltable is removed from the vehicle, it is then called a "shell"

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back