The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can i install 2g lsd internals in a non lsd rear diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overboosted1g

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 13, 2010
washington, Michigan
I am in the process of 5 speed swapping my 2g, My donor car came with a non-lsd rear differential. My stock auto diff is lsd, my question is can i put the 5 speed gears in the auto rear diff or do i need a 5spd lsd diff housing as well. I also have spare 5 speed lsd gears laying around, would those gears and lsd diff fit in the non lsd housing?

You CANNOT install the OEM VC LSD into a non-LSD housing.

You can install an aftermarket (Kaaz or Cusco) mechanical LSD into both types of housings.

You can install an OEM Evo mech.LSD into both types of housings.

I have first hand experience from attempting each of the above.

My CAPS lists only one carrier assembly for all variations. This wasn't the case back when 2Gs were being produced however. I've never paid attention to auto part numbers, so I don't have an answer for you.

I bet Jon @ TRE or Shep Racing would know...

Or pull them apart and try swapping them over, it should become apparent pretty quickly. If it does work, make sure you have it assembled by someone with a good reputation for rear ends. I had mine done by a shop and the bearings were trashed in one season...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back