The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Can I fix this with a rim spacer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eclipse 1998

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2010
,, Indiana
So my passenger axle is a autozone one and the axle hits the center cap and protrudes out slightly, can I fix this with a rim spacer?

The first pick is what I'm talking about, the second is for comparison.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 63
From the pics, you can barely tell there's a difference. I'd just run it as is. I've never see anyone run spacers so center caps would fit ROFL

Can you just trim the back of the center cap a bit?

From the pics, you can barely tell there's a difference. I'd just run it as is. I've never see anyone run spacers so center caps would fit ROFL

It is noticeable, plus I didn't completely tighten that side bc I didn't want it to tear up the cap. Should I just take a sander to it?

You really didn't answer my question though, can a spacer fix it? Would there be any negative effects?

Well, depends how close it is to fitting?

You may be able to take a Dremel with a small grinding bit and remove some material from the back of the center cap.

If you're really brave, you can even remove a tiny amount of material from the end of the axle shaft itself. Just don't screw up the threads.

You could also run a spacer, but that's a lot of work just to get a center cap to fit. So, to answer your question, yes, a spacer is an option. All the info about spacers here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/help-with-getting-wheel-spacers.491511/#post-153506877

The easiest solution would just be not to run center caps. Clean up the axle nut and shaft with some spray paint...It can actually look pretty good if you put some time into it:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I had them flat black before, which makes the nut and axle much less noticeable to the eye:

Last edited:
Well, depends how close it is to fitting?

You may be able to take a Dremel with a small grinding bit and remove some material from the back of the center cap.

If you're really brave, you can even remove a tiny amount of material from the end of the axle shaft itself. Just don't screw up the threads.

You could also run a spacer, but that's a lot of work to get a center cap to fit.

The easiest solution would just be not to run center caps. Clean up the axle nut and shaft with some spray paint...It can actually look pretty good if you put some time into it:
Oh wow I do like that way that looks, although I like the center caps as well

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back