The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Cam Angle Position Sensor Adjustment

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colossus

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 23, 2003
Crestview, Florida
I recently put new cams into my head, and I reinstalled my CAS. Now, how do I know if it's right? I'm assuming this is what helps determine my spark and such, like a distributor would be.

But, how do I know if it's set how it should be? I just put it back on until it fit into the cam shaft, and tightened it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
did you align it with the motor at TDC ?
other then that you need a timming light.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I aligned the cam shafts with TDC, so the valves were all right, but otherwise I don't believe we messed with turning the shaft on the CAPS, we just turned it until it fit into the slit on the cam, then turned the CAPS so that it could bolt in right. I was told either if it turns on and runs good, I got it right, but if it runs bad, then I need to take the CAPS off and flip the slit around on the CAPS and put it back in. 50/50 chance I got it right.

i was also searching for the same problem. I just recently pulled apart a cas off my friends motor to see if you can install the cas incorrectly. I noticed the notch in the sensor and thought maybe they should be aligned before installing. I'm thinking about it more and more and wondering if it makes a difference because the cas is always spinning. Is there a mark in the head where the cas goes to line it up? My car runs like butt when i set the timing where it should be, i have to retard it to 0* btdc to get rid of knock, but i know that advanced timing is where the power is. But i cant seem to get rid of endless counts of knock. I took off my cas a few months ago to clean my lifters and for the past few months tuning has been a major problem for me. I get endless phantom knock at times and sometimes the car pulls like it should, but not every gear........

I am going to pull off my cas to check it, maybe flip the spinning part 180* to see if it changes, but for the most part, my car runs good. I'll let you know tomorrow night.

Like Dave said, good pic BTW... use a timing light.

Wasn't used to having one on my 2G. Even with the marks lines up I was at 8 degrees advance. I was 3 degrees too much.
A timing light saved the day. I was getting MAD knock with 8 degrees base timing.

well i fixed my phantom knock problem and overall tuning problems. The cas was indeed 180 off, could have been like that from the last owner. Well, needless to say, its a good thing to check for everyone. I put the 1st cylinder up top, popped off the cas, aligned the marks, timing light helpmed me set it to 5*, but i get better results with it a tad bit retarded.

Part throttle knock is gone, random pk is gone, car pulls harder then ever. Wish i did this before i ran a measely 13.2 on a 14b last week. Now the track is closed. I might even keep the 14b in it for next year to see if i can rip off some low 12's on pump.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back