The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Cam and crank bad grnd

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielDSM

Probationary Member
Oct 31, 2018
Dexter, New_York
95 eclipse 4g63 I couldn't get car to start no fuel or spark so checked my cam and crank sensors I have 12v on Red wire 5v on blue and continuity to ground on both connectors when switch is off, but when i turn ignition on I lose ground I also lose ground on tps and ignition coils plug which are in line with the cam and crank wires does the ecm switch the ground off or do I have a bad ecm

The computer doesnt switch anything, the sensor switches them and the ecu looks for those switches, that is how they function.

Ok then what would cause me to lose my ground when switch is turned on cause I'm losing it at the cam crank sensor and coils and tps that's all I checked I can go further but they all run in same harness

Have you checked all fuses in both fuse box's? and have you cleaned all grounds including the ground from the body to the engine? what lead up to this?

Well I bought the car with a blown motor so took it out and rebuilt motor and head all new timing parts new cam sensor crank sensor all grounds that I know of have been cleaned and re installed my head and block our grounded I have checked all fuses and they are good motor will turn over but I get no spark or fuel so checked cam and crank sensor they have 12v on red wire 5v on blue and ground continuity is good until I turn the ignition key on then i lose ground to both cam and crank coils tps those are all i have checked cause they are in the same area as cam sensor so i was wondering if the computer is causing the issue with losing ground or maybe the ignition switch itself

I know when I took the old can sensor of it was melted but dont know if that could cause something to short out, when I bought the car the guy said he had it running and it just quit found out it had bad compression, so I have never had the car running but I do know that the ECM isn't showing any codes

It sounds like something is shorted, you should have 5v on one terminal, ground on another terminal and pulse on the third terminal. Maybe try running a ground from the chassis to the ground terminal on the sensor.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Ok so I replaced the battery for car cause it wasnt holding a charge I now have a good ground with key on but I still dont have spark or fuel injectors arnt firing with the diode light in the harness would think i need to replace crank sensor

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back