The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Buying a Built Motor- Opinions/Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dewoof01

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 22, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Hey guys looking for some opinions/advice. I have a garage car that I drive less than 1000 miles a year and i'm going to be building the motor and going turbo here in the next few months. I was about ready to buy my internals when I ran across this on local craigslist: https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/pts/5135913769.html

Now its a little more extreme than I was wanting but heres the specs the owner could give me:

Ok so I'm pretty sure I got everything that's in there

Eclipse engine

1995 2.0L 420a engine from eclipse non turbo.

Modifications include:
-Ross forged Pistons 20 over and I think 9.5:1
-eagle forged connecting rods
-Manley 1 piece valves 2mm over on intake 1mm over on exhaust
-crower stage 2 cams
-aem cam gears
-new springs and lifters
-msd ignition
-rc injectors
-high flow fuel rail
-head port and polish
-intake manifold, throttle body, head, exhaust manifold and turbo all gasket matched ported and polished
-spec stage 2 race clutch
-everything balanced

Turbo kit
-turbonetics t3/t4 turbo
-front mount intercooler with piping
-hks blow off valve
-delta gate wastegate

Let me know if you have any questions and I'm sure I have receipts for this stuff somewhere.

OK so I told him I'm not doing the 3k hes asking because its not exactly what I wanted. Hes not sure but he said "low compression pistons" were in it, and i'd assume its an 8:?:1 compression piston but not sure. He doesn't have a car for the motor so hes willing to negotiate as he wants it out of his garage. As you can see hes got alot of money into this motor and a few thousand miles on it. He said he was running 20 psi on it.

Any advice or opinions or pricing help you guys would give me would be great. I would much prefer building the motor on my own and specing my own parts, but this is way more than 3k of motor and turbo kit hes selling however its not in the car and who knows what the real story behind the engine is....

I'd do a leakdown test on the engine, then drop the oil pan, and inspect the rod bearings. If those things are okay, I'd feel more comfortable making the purchase. Either way, it's still a risk.

Thanks for the response. I know its a risk however I wouldn't consider it a complete loss if say I get the motor in the car and there's a problem and say I need to repull and do a rebuild of the bottom end or something like that. I guess I'd be interested in what price number you guys feel would be good price for this motor and parts for the risk of be assuming in purchasing it. Assuming the leakdown test comes back good.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back