The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

BSE bearing problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990EclipseGSX

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 7, 2003
Angel Fire, New_Mexico
I'm currently in the middle of removing the balance shafts in my car and I have reached a problem. I found the rear bearing to the front balance shaft in my oil pan, and now when I go to put in the new block off bearing it has a very very loose fit. I know if I put my car back together with the bearing like this it will just rattle out again. So, what should I do to make the bearing stay in?
Thanks,
Chris

If its the rear bearing (closest to the firewall), a bearing is not needed. The oil is pumped through the front of the shaft.

If your talking about the front bearing closest to the radiator), then your f'd :laugh: Just kidding, there is an access screw on the outside of the block, take that off and tap a the oil hole through the outside of the block (don't go deep, stay shallow :D and be sure to get all the metal shavings out) then plug it with a screw :thumb:

1990EclipseGSX said:
I'm currently in the middle of removing the balance shafts in my car and I have reached a problem. I found the rear bearing to the front balance shaft in my oil pan, and now when I go to put in the new block off bearing it has a very very loose fit. I know if I put my car back together with the bearing like this it will just rattle out again. So, what should I do to make the bearing stay in?
Thanks,
Chris
Chris, I just did this to my motor I am building. The front shaft bearings (2) are all you need to worry about. One is smaller than the other. The small one goes in first (middle of the block) then the bigger one goes in the block (lower left of the water pump).
The rear shaft has only 1 bearing and there is no oil hole to block off so you can leave it in or out doesnt matter. http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html

Thanks for the responses so far. The bearing I am having the problems with is the Back bearing (the one deep in the block) on the Front balance shaft. The old beearing was totaled, so I am using the new bearing that came with my BSE kit. Unfortunately, the bearing just slips through its hole fairly easily. Would it have been possible for the balance shaft to clank around enough to enlarge the bore for the bearing slightly? Any ideas on how to shim the bearing or plug the oil hole?

espinelli said:
If your talking about the front bearing closest to the radiator), then your f'd :laugh: Just kidding, there is an access screw on the outside of the block, take that off and tap a the oil hole through the outside of the block (don't go deep, stay shallow :D and be sure to get all the metal shavings out) then plug it with a screw :thumb:

This seems like it could work. Any idea what size tap is needed for the oil squirter?

1990EclipseGSX said:
Thanks for the responses so far. The bearing I am having the problems with is the Back bearing (the one deep in the block) on the Front balance shaft. The old beearing was totaled, so I am using the new bearing that came with my BSE kit. Unfortunately, the bearing just slips through its hole fairly easily. Would it have been possible for the balance shaft to clank around enough to enlarge the bore for the bearing slightly? Any ideas on how to shim the bearing or plug the oil hole?
Are you sure you are using the right bearing. I highly dought you have a probem with your cast iron block! Who did you get the kit from?? Does the bearing you took out of the engine you say is bad does it match up in size to any of the bearings?? You may be able to reuse it. It just blocks off the hole. Pics would be helpfull
There is no other way to block off the oil hole unless you tap the hole and put a pipe plug in it but you may get some chips in the oil system and would trash the main bearings.
Anyone else heard of this problem :confused:

espinelli said:

I may have to do this myself. The block I picked up had a junked balance shaft bearing all shreaded up in the oil pan. And instead of putting a new bearing in its place, I'd rather just plug the hole.

How far did you tap into the oil hole? Do you remember the pitch and thread size? Thanks :)

TSIfreek said:
Are you sure you are using the right bearing. I highly dought you have a probem with your cast iron block! Who did you get the kit from?? Does the bearing you took out of the engine you say is bad does it match up in size to any of the bearings?? You may be able to reuse it. It just blocks off the hole. Pics would be helpfull
There is no other way to block off the oil hole unless you tap the hole and put a pipe plug in it but you may get some chips in the oil system and would trash the main bearings.
Anyone else heard of this problem :confused:

Yes, I am sure I am using the right bearing unless mitsu put the wrong bearing in the box.... I got the kit from DSMotorsports and it uses factory mitsubishi bearings. The original bearing is mangled to no end, so no way of reusing it or even comparing sizes. I don't like the sound of getting chips in the oil system and trashing the main bearings, so hopefully another solution will come up.
Thanks

I would call DSMmotorsports and talk to them about it may be they can help.

Maybe coat the outside of the bearing with JBweld and slide it in there?

Chris,
If the bearing spun you might not be able to safely block the oil passage with a bearing or tapping for that matter.
You have to make a call:
If the bore is not badly damaged, you can try to see how a left balance shaft bearing (part no MD040598) fits since it is a few thou bigger than the one that should go in there.
If the bore is badly damaged, you might need to bore it to the next available size bearing. Tapping might be too difficult to do. Anyway you cannot do these without the engine being out of the car and completely disassembled.
Good luck.

Suparata said:
Chris,
If the bearing spun you might not be able to safely block the oil passage with a bearing or tapping for that matter.
You have to make a call:
If the bore is not badly damaged, you can try to see how a left balance shaft bearing (part no MD040598) fits since it is a few thou bigger than the one that should go in there.
If the bore is badly damaged, you might need to bore it to the next available size bearing. Tapping might be too difficult to do. Anyway you cannot do these without the engine being out of the car and completely disassembled.
Good luck.

Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and order that bearing and hopefully it will fit....

Well the left balance shaft bearing came in today, and it is also too small. Looks like the bore is pretty messed up, and the engine has to come out of the car. Oh well, guess it is time to step up to the 2.3L stroker :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back