The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Brown tail light socket/connector replacement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcubed45

Proven Member
Mar 8, 2013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi guys,

I'm currently fixing up the wiring that the previous owner did for a Talon to Eclipse conversion. The outermost bulbs on either side have a brown socket that is not connected to anything. Looking at the socket, it's a 2-pin connector even though the bulb is dual filament. It's been awhile since I had my old eclipse so I don't recall if the stock eclipse tail lights used the outer most bulbs for brake/turn signal or if it was just for parking lights.

In any case, there is no connector for the brown sockets. Is this a universal connector I can find somewhere or is it specific to the eclipse body wiring harness (which my talon would not have)?

I think I'd like to have the outermost bulbs function the same as the inner ones so I think I might be better off just replacing the socket itself to a 3 pin one. This would also avoid the hassle of trying to find a connector for the brown socket. Do the universal 3-pin 2057 bulb sockets fit our tail lights or is it a socket specific to these cars?

FYI I'm gonna be using a 3-wire to 2-wire tail light signal converter so I don't need to have separate "brake" and "turn" bulbs.

On the Eclipse, the outer connector was just running lights and doesn't need to be dual filament. The inner two connectors/bulbs are for brake lights. On my Eclipses, the outer bulb holder has been wired directly to the chassis harness with no connector.

I have likewise considered running all three as brake lights (sequential turns, anyone?) but have too many higher priorities right now to fool with it. Our connectors APPEAR to be compatible with the universal ones but I have never tried. You should try that out and see. It might make things a lot easier for you. Keep in mind that our cars came with 1157 bulbs, which have a brighter running filament than the 2057, but they are completely interchangeable. The brake filament is the same between the two.

On the Eclipse, the outer connector was just running lights and doesn't need to be dual filament. The inner two connectors/bulbs are for brake lights. On my Eclipses, the outer bulb holder has been wired directly to the chassis harness with no connector.

I have likewise considered running all three as brake lights (sequential turns, anyone?) but have too many higher priorities right now to fool with it. Our connectors APPEAR to be compatible with the universal ones but I have never tried. You should try that out and see. It might make things a lot easier for you. Keep in mind that our cars came with 1157 bulbs, which have a brighter running filament than the 2057, but they are completely interchangeable. The brake filament is the same between the two.

Cool thanks for the info. I just ordered a pair of 1157 sockets off amazon and will wire them up in parallel with the other sockets.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back