The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Painting center taillight [Merged 11-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heres mine with no letters, and my old gsx with them, on silver imo no letters, but then again i never seen it, maybe it will look good

Attachments

• DSC02117.JPG
    DSC02117.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 459
  • 545350_182.jpg
    545350_182.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 662
^ Me likey, i think for me, i would peel the letters off and put the turbo emblem on over a cf center peice cover.

::EDIT:: BTW (and sorry if i jack the thread for a while) wahts the best way to get the letters off?

I have it peeled, and painted and i plan on putting my own emblem :D

Is there a write-up on this? Not sure how to do this. Also, where do you guys buy the paint?

I want to paint my center taillight and was thinking about rattle canning it. I was just curious if this what other people have done, or if they actually painted at a paint shop. I would also like to know what kind of paint is needed if your going to rattle can it, and what precautionary steps should I take before I go to paint it.

Thanks in advance
James

That's exactly what I did to mine and I'll probably be doing it to the hatch/spoiler area this winter as it's clearcoat is starting to peel. In the future I'll be using an exact color match, this was just duplicolor's metalcast blue paint over a base silver with a couple coats of clearcoat.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I went down to the body shop that painted my car and had them mix me up a small can of red and they also gave me a small can of clear. My buddy and I sprayed my center piece my ourselves in his garage. He had the air compressor, the paint gun, and a well ventilated area. It turned out great, but I don't believe all that work was necessary for such a small piece. After doing it once, I would feel confident doing it again with aerosol cans instead, and I'm willing to bet I could make it look just as good as my first one.

A little aerosol tip: Submerse your aerosol cans in hot water before using. That will raise the pressure in the can to promote a more healthy, full, and even spray.

Alright, thanks for the info guys, I'm thinkin about doing this in the garage, and makin a small little room out of garbage bags. How big do you guys think it should be? or can I just do it outside?

Its raining all week, so I really want to do it in the garage. But at the same time, its not my garage, its my parents, so they'd get pissed if I did paint in the garage. How long does it smell for?

Also, I'm still a little confused. Do I have to sand down the center taillight, or can I just paint it right ahead with no prep work. Do I use metalic silver and then after that just 2 coats of clear coat?

mavisky, you did a very good job on the center taillight, I would have thought you brought that into a shop to pain that.

Also, I'm still a little confused. Do I have to sand down the center taillight, or can I just paint it right ahead with no prep work. Do I use metalic silver and then after that just 2 coats of clear coat?

I had my last center taillight painted in my old car, when I had the whole car repainted, so I am sure thatn it was sanded just a bit, but you might me able to get away w/out doing it, but its usually to make the surface clean and smooth, so use some...idk...help me out here guys...400 grit sand paper, not too harsh, its plastic...ROFL...but you probably could just rattle cam it, but make sure you get a nice coat on there and a clear too.:thumb: Up to your discretion I guess? Let us know how it turns out and looks...ie...pics or whatev? Good luck.:thumb:

I've seen a solid color between the tail lights on some peoples' Eclipses, but I wasn't sure how they did this. Has anyone done this before? Would the best way to do this be masking off the eclipse lettering and then painting over the red, or is there another way to do it?

~DCTrombonest

i did the search and i couldn't find a pic of someone doing this. i want to get some advice and opinions on if i should do it or not. i want to paint the center white including the license plate area. and i will be keeping the talon rear end the same. if i do this should i paint the letters white with it or should i leave it black. they're not emblems...at least i dont think i can take them off. if someone could do a quick photoshop on it that would help me out seeing how i don't know how to do that. thanks...and heres a pic that i borrowed from another member off the gallery.

If you paint the center the color of your car, leave the letters black and then spray paint the ends with VHT nightshades, I think it would look great.

VHT nightshades

ya that's what i think i'm gonna do. but uh...stupid question....where do i get this VHT nightshades. and i'm wondering if it would be the same color after i spray it, being how the top is amber and the bottom red.

i would still like to see some pics or a photoshop pic of it. i've seen the eclipse but not a talon. thx

Sounds like a good plan, but have you noticed how the lower inside piece of either side turnsignal drops at an angle which the center piece carries through? That is the only fly in the ointment so to speak. I've actually thought about just eliminating the lettering all together and just using nite shades on the entire area. I have also seen with another members car where he took and had the entire area covered with with red (have no clue how he did it) It looked really nice as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I painted my tail lights with a red paint from deplicolor. I think its it was a red clear coat paint but I dont really remember.

I like how it turned out

I didnt read every page and every reply. Here is my 95 gsx with the center painted and then I added the ECLIPSE sticker. My dad does body work and use to paint so we did it. We scuffed up the center piece, used self etching primer for platic, painted it the exact color from the paint code, clear coated it and then buffed it up.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a107/antlip/Picture001-5.jpg

I went by the local body shop today to investigate pricing to paint the center taillight section to match the rest of the car.
Guy firstg told me it wouldnt work so they won;t paint it, then the boss came out and checked it out and say they would paint it but give no garauntee and that it would be a couple hundred bucks.

My jaw dropped. I was expecting like $50.

We talked some more and he said $120. Still over my budget for something that has zero impact on the function of my car.
So I figure if I want it donw I'll rattle can it and clear it like everyone else does. Problem is that I can't find a rattle can with the right color. Could someone help me find it?

The color of the car is the stock Cayenne Red Pearl. :dsm:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back