The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Brake light bulbs stuck on, not resolved with older threads

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junzu

Proven Member
Aug 21, 2021
California
Brake lights wouldn't turn on when braking, replaced bulbs and now they won't turn off, LOL. Saw old thread here https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/f...eason-for-brake-lights-notturning-off.505672/

Mentioned putting a golf tee in the hole where brake light switch is, problem is on mine looks like there isn't space to put it! Also do not see any sign of the rubber brake stop. Pic here:

Any ballpark suggestions?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
i hate rust so that picture bothers me.
anyway
i can't tell if thats a spot that looks like a hole from contact or an actual hole.
Do the natural thing and try and stick something in it

assuming its a hole, get one of these

anyway
i can't tell if thats a spot that looks like a hole from contact or an actual hole.

The hole where the golf tee is supposed to go is where the screw runs through right? Not sure where to put it, thought it was where that screw takes up place.

As far as the rust Im with you on that haha. Previous owner left it outside for a few months, window down. Believe it or not body is pretty much rust free!

anyway

The first sentence hit me just right and i got a good chuckle.
Brake lights wouldn't turn on when braking, replaced bulbs and now they won't turn off, LOL. Saw old thread here https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/f...eason-for-brake-lights-notturning-off.505672/

Mentioned putting a golf tee in the hole where brake light switch is, problem is on mine looks like there isn't space to put it! Also do not see any sign of the rubber brake stop. Pic here:

The inside of the switch is probably wore out internally and the switch is left completely on the button goes out when you brake. Same issue 2 years ago except mine were always off. The brake switch was my issue.

The first sentence hit me just right and i got a good chuckle.

The inside of the switch is probably wore out internally and the switch is left completely on the button goes out when you brake. Same issue 2 years ago except mine were always off. The brake switch was my issue.

Just picked up a new switch and put it in, doesn't seem to have done much good.... lost on this one

The hole where the golf tee is supposed to go is where the screw runs through right? Not sure where to put it, thought it was where that screw takes up place.

it looks like a hole right here

im pretty sure it is cause as far as i know all models have a hole there for the rubber stopper

it looks like a hole right here

im pretty sure it is cause as far as i know all models have a hole there for the rubber stopper
Yeah that's where I'm lost... how is the golf tee to go in there with the screw in it's place? Looks like there wasn't even that screw there in the other thread

Is it adjusted to the point that when no pressure is on the brake peddle the black button pushed in by upper brake peddle?
Nope but even when I push it in manually and have someone watch the bulbs they don't turn on...man I feel like an idiot today. You would normally just screw it in all the way until it's tight, correct?

I put a small screw in there to push the button below the threads. Going down to flush with threads isn't enough. Get a small Allen wrench have some one watch and push the black button below the threads.

Right there is how i fixed it. Small bolt double nuted on front and back of that black plate. Bolt pushes the button below the threads on the switch.

I had to improvise with that, cuz i lost the original part that goes there. Essentially yes that is right. It worked so well that i did not put the original piece that goes there back on that plate. As long as that gets pressed in far enough the lights will turn off.

I had to improvise with that, cuz i lost the original part that goes there. Essentially yes that is right. It worked so well that i did not put the original piece that goes there back on that plate. As long as that gets pressed in far enough the lights will turn off.
Perfect thank you for the help! I've never messed with this before. Currently it's screwed in all the way as shown in my Pic, can screwing this up mess up my transmission or ABS? I read somewhere that it can affect those. Last question haha. Much appreciated

As far as i know its just a simple light switch. You have a manual transmission not quite sure how it would effect that. Should be a similar switch above the clutch peddle that when the clutch is depressed the starter can engage and you can start your car. As far as the abs i am uncertain. Maybe When the switch is out by pressing the brake peddle the abs starts doing its magic, but thats just me speculating.

As far as i know its just a simple light switch. You have a manual transmission not quite sure how it would effect that. Should be a similar switch above the clutch peddle that when the clutch is depressed the starter can engage and you can start your car. As far as the abs i am uncertain. Maybe When the switch is out by pressing the brake peddle the abs starts doing its magic, but thats just me speculating.
So In other words I should be fine right 😅 it's plugged in and screwed in fine

You are probably gonna need a new a brake switch. Mine brake lights where staying on when i i would push the brake pedal in and then would kill my battery cus they stayed on. Swapped in a new switch, problem solved.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back