The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Brake Drum Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intimidator2000

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
O, Florida
My brakes feel kind of spongy and when I looked at my brake fluid it was at minimum. Today, I took my rear drum off and when I looked at the shoes they are greasy. What could cause for my brakes to be greasy.

Your brake cylinders are bad in the rear...they are leaking small amounts of brake fluid out onto the shoes making them greasy. The wheel cylinders are about $10 each. You will also need new rear brake shoes cause they are ruined now that brake fluid got on them. Usually you can also get a rear drum rebuild kit for $5 bucks...that will have all the springs you need to do the job right!

and dont forget to get new drums or at least have your old ones turned

:talon:

Thanks Jeff99GS, Do you know of a good website that sells the rear drum rebuild kit.

I just go to Napa or the Mitsu Dealer... If you want to do a full rebuild you will need

2 Rear Wheel cylinders (the pistons that pushes open the shoes)
1 Full set of rear Brake Shoes ( I would get Mitsubishi OEM)
1 set of new drums ( or have yours turned)
2 rear drum springs and hardware kits
1 Can of brake cleaner

When I replace the wheel cylinders do you think I would need to bleed the brakes.

Yes you have to bleed at least the rears...the wheel cylinders will be completely empty at first so have someone watch the master cylinder up front while you are bleeding the brakes...they need to pour fluid in as you pump the wheel cylinders up so you dont suck the Master Cylinder Dry and let air in..If you let the master cylinder go dry you will have to bleed the whole system over again.

I go to napa and get the one way speed bleeders...they work great... You install those in place of the regular bleeder screws. Open them 1/4 turn then you just pump the brakes!! They only let the fluid out but nothing back in!

But remember dont let the Master cylinder go dry when you are bleeding the brakes...The first two pumps will suck most of the fluid out cause its filling the empty wheel cylinders...So get out and check the level of your fluid every 5 pumps or have someone watch for you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back